Round Cupcake Tower To Feed 300 Help..

Baking By jenscreativity Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if there was any way I can MAKE a cupcake tower to feed 300 cupcakes out of the thicker cardboard?? Would it be sturdy enough to hold that many and what would I used in between to hold the tiers? Any one help me on this? Reasoning I'm asking is because my client wants ribbon on the edges of the boards and the cardboard ones I"m finding online are too thin on the edges to put ribbon around..and I need that on this tower. Thanks!

Jenifer

13 replies
jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 14

Anyone??

jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 14

OR you think I can get a drum set of 8 sizes and put a decorated styrofoam in between layers to hold together all tiers? Can anyone help me please?? Desperately need it..Thanks!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 14

I'm sorry I haven't had occasion to need a cupcake tower this large. For the expense you would incur for a temporary structure, maybe you would want to consider investing in one?

lqueds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lqueds Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 14

I make my cupcake stands out of cake boards all the time. I cover them with foodsafe paper...glue ribbon around the edges and put styrofoam circles covered in coordinating ribbon/material. To make it sturdy I drive a dowel thru all layers. For something as big as you need, I would use the cake drums and do a few dowels just to be safe. HTH

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 14

Iqueds: You think I could put thinner styrofoam rounds, dressed up, in each layer, like 3 under each board? Instead of doweling at all or even using the
the big fat styrofoam circles with dowels.

THanks to all others for advices and leads..I will look into that also!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 14

For a tower big enough to hold 300 cupcakes, I think I would price it out before buying bits and pieces of it. It could be very costly. Good luck however you go.

jenscreativity Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 14

Well, I found that the tower itself online is for $45 but ttl of $79 with shipping,,,so if I could maybe use the 40%-50% coupons every week at Micheals to maybe get all the materials, it may end up being lesser than the $79. I have 2 months to prep for this..so if I buy cake drums separately each,with a coupon, in different sizes,,I may end up making out ok,and I go to Micheals a lot, so maybe I can utilize those coupons a lot for that. What do you think?

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 14

I made one out of a 4x8 foam sheet sold at home depot or lowes. I found the directions on this website. The foam sheet board was pink and i painted them black. Just don't use spray paint, it eats the foam. The directions tell you how to use the foam board as "legs" between the tiers. Mine worked out amazing. No one could believe that I built it. http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/customer/gallery/news_cupcakeholderhowto.htm

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 14

I think I would buy a stand like this http://www.cupcaketree.com/ and use your Michael's coupons to buy the supplies to decorate. The cardboard edges are thin, but they show example photos of how you can still use ribbon to decorate. If you're planning to make your own and buy all of the supplies at Michael's, think about how many trips you will have to make since they generally only let you use one coupon at a time. Is it worth all that time and gas money?

Or if you really want to make one, maybe try JoAnn's instead - they'll let you use as many coupons as you want (including competitor's coupons) in one transaction as long as they are all different.

Is this an expense you can pass along to your client or has the total cost already been established?

jenscreativity Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 14

anothercreation: I can't pull up the image of this stand,,do you have an image at all or in your pics/gallery of your stand? I am curious to know what this looks like besides the directions.

THanks again to all!
JEn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%