Disco Lights

Decorating By ClareBear66 Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 2:23pm by Isacake

ClareBear66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClareBear66 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I am calling upon your knowledge once again
I have an order for a cake that is free standing sculpted DJ disco lights. I have been asked to try & make it light up. I have read various posts & seen many photos of cakes with lights in them, but my question is,
How can I make the lights look like light bulbs (i have never worked with melted sugar)- I have purchase little battery operated individual lights of the internet
Also, how do I put them in the cake so they are food safe & easily removed without ruining the look of the cake

Something like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p0woSEytxVw/S59OCh-DyuI/AAAAAAAAB8c/yoymKAa92GM/s400/1970+Mobile+fal+disco+lights+made+by+Futuristic+Aids+Ltd+DJ+Vintage+Electronics.jpg

http://www.spectrumdisco.com/Images/gallery/Spectrum%20disco%202009%20045.jpg

Sorry for all the questions
thanks in advance
Clare

2 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 3

I saw a thing on Cake Boss where they were making a robot cake and they just stuck little LED flashlights in the cake. You could wrap the part that would be stuck into the cake in clingfilm so it wouldn't be touching the cake. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you're going for but check it out on youtube if you think it might help.

Cheers,
Janelle

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 3

What kind of lights did you bought? I happend to have a cake du tomorrow with lights in it and here is how I do. I purchase a battery operated LED lights set that has 10 lights on 10 separated cords. I put a big straw or a plastic dowel through the cake where I want the lights to be and I put the cords in it. I then tape the battery underneath the cake board that I have elevated. Then, I put the individual lights where I want. I wrap the lights with clingwrap. This way, nothing touch the cake and it's easy to remove or cut around the cords cause they are protected by the straw. If you want to place them horizontally, you put straws betweem your cake layers, attached on the cake boards. I used this technic in my Christmas village cake. It's in my picture if you want to see. You have to place all the straws and lights prior to frost and decorate the cake, It's much easier. I am not an expert cake decorator in no way, but since I did this in the past, I think this might help! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%