Massachusetts Home Inspection

Business By Luvbites Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 12:36am by Norasmom

Luvbites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvbites Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, I am a newbie to this site but have been taking in all the great info and ideas you all give! I am just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from the home inspection? I wondering what should be labeled etc. TIA

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:53am
post #2 of 6

Hopefully someone from MA will see this and respond... But in the meantime, NY has a similar cottage food law. The inspection is simple. An inspector from Ag&Mkts visits for a quick visual (no peeling paint, must have hot and cold running water, thermometers in fridge and freezer) but no serious inspection of cabinets, pantry, oven, bathroom facilities. We also must have labels or at least a label mock-up so they know we understand how to create a label.

It's always nice to hear from someone who has gone through this, but you should also call your licensing agency and ask them what you need.

Good luck!

Luvbites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvbites Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much Mimifix!! I called the Department of Health but he was not very helpful and rushing me off the phone. Maybe I will go just go down there this week and get more information.

Luvbites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvbites Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 6

There isn't anybody from Mass. that can help me on this subject?

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6


I am from MA also. You will find helpful information here icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 12:36am
post #6 of 6

Hi. I'm from MA. Here's what they look for, it's quite simple. dishwasher temp must reach 140 degrees, (you need a diswahsher or a 3-bin sink), food and ingredients must be labeled, fridge/freezee temps must be at regulation, safe serve certificate must be obtained, foods for baking must be kept on separate shelves from personal foods in fridge, there must be no evidence of rodents, An FDA/EPA approved cleanser must be labeled and used to clean all surfaces...I use counterrific because bleach isn't good for granite.
You must have a paper towel dispenser in kitchen and bathroom. Soap as well. Bathroom must have a fan or a window. Screens must be on windows.
In MA, The complicated part is not the Board of Health, it's getting certified with your town through the zoning board of appeals.
Sorry for the ramble. Hope this information is helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%