8 Year Old Boy Baptism, No Crosses...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 5:38am by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:36am
post #1 of 14

Anyone seen a cake done for an 8 yr. old boy's baptism? Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
p.s. they do not use crosses
If anyone can think of seeing a cake like this please suggest a link. Thanks so much!
I have an idea to do but would like to see others if possible.

13 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 6:40am
post #2 of 14

moving to Cake Ideas forum. icon_smile.gif

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 8:38am
post #3 of 14

I haven't seen one. Personally, I think the idea is kind of tacky. (no offense, really.) I'd stick with something plainish and save the cake for the birthday party.

By save the cake for the party, I mean the cool, decorated cake. I'd do simple for the baptism.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:57am
post #4 of 14

Some simple flowers? Possibly all in white or with a touch of silver?

Or water (I'm assuming they use water for the baptism)?
Possibly a dove although that is more Confirmation normally?

FabBrunette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabBrunette Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 14

Just go simple, pastels on white or something like that.
Don't get too obsessed with doves or crosses, etc.

Just make it simple and nice.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 14

There are some pics in the galleries for 8 year old baptisms. Your son or a client?
The cake isn't actually served at the baptism. It is for an optional get together right after the baptism, either a full meal or just finger foods or whatever for family and friends.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:27am
post #7 of 14

http://www.meandmyinsanity.com/2008/07/cute-cakes-for-kids-with-layers.html
It's the cake with the rainbow and the sunshine. The girl made it based on one of our children's songs, "I like to look for rainbows" that talks about baptism. You could do some more boyish decorations maybe?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1372285
One with a dad baptizing his son, all in white with fondant figures.

http://letsbakesomecake.blogspot.com/2010/05/lds-baptism-cake.html
Another of the same theme, but with blue water.

http://mscakes.blogspot.com/2010/12/lds-baptism-cake.html
Cute idea with CTR (choose the right) on it too.

I'd find more, but my kids are having issues... LOL. HTH!

heyjules Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:31am
post #8 of 14

[quote="audrey0522"]There are some pics in the galleries for 8 year old baptisms. Your son or a client?
The cake isn't actually served at the baptism. It is for an optional get together right after the baptism, either a full meal or just finger foods or whatever for family and friends.[/quote

I know that (LDS too), but I still think that simple, like the flowers others have suggested, would be the most appropriate thing. My daughter turns 8 in December, and I was thinking of putting out some cupcake bouquets on the tables.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #9 of 14

My daughter turns eight this year. Although it's for her birthday, she specifically asked for an all white cake with an angel on it. I think anything all white would work well, symbolizing cleanliness and purity. I also like to put clear sprinkles on it.

heyjules Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:23am
post #10 of 14

Kate, that sounds pretty. Your daughter sounds like an angel! I think I've got this mental image of the OP using her mad decorating skills to make some awesome 3-D thing, which I'm sure isn't correct! I do like the idea of the rainbow cake too...especially if that song is sung.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:54am
post #11 of 14

Here is another Choose the Right cake that I like (I'm actually going to be making one similar for a baptism coming up):

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2078380

I got the impression the OP is not LDS (church of jesus christ of latter-day saints), so I'll explain. "CTR" stands for "choose the right" and the symbol in the picture is one very familiar to those of the LDS faith (the shield with "CTR" on it). It is especially familiar to those of the age to get baptized (minimum 8 yo). I would stay away from angels and dove, but you can't go wrong with the color white. But you can always ask your client for more info! Also, the rainbow is in reference to a song frequently song at LDS baptisms.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:12am
post #12 of 14
brittsaqtpie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittsaqtpie1 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:31am
post #13 of 14

I really like the CTR one with the boy on top. I would say keep it simple and white and stay away from doves and crosses. I like the rainbow idea too (it's one of my favorite Children's Hymns) icon_smile.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:38am
post #14 of 14

Thanks all for the ideas!! (especially the pic's) Sorry some got the impression that I wasn't familar with the Church of Jesus Christ. I am a member.
I did say that I had an idea of what I would like to do but i just wanted to see some other cakes that had already been done. I am very visual! All I could find in the search were cakes with crosses.

I had already thought about the rainbo but but had not thought about the CTR idea, silly me.

Don't worry heyjules, I'm not going to use my mad decorating skills to do something over the top.

The client wants a small 6" cake with 24 cupcakes. Think I will make a flat fondant rainbo OR the CTR symbol on the top of a white cake. Maybe words on the side that say, "just baptized" and the number 8 (with funky tappits, on top of all the frosted cupcakes.

Thanks again, you got me thinkin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%