Black Royal Icing Not Drying

Baking By Rae9 Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 9:37pm by bonniebakes

Rae9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae9 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:53am
post #1 of 4

This is my first attempt at decorating cookies and everthing was going fine until I made my black royal icing...I had to use a bunch of gel coloring to get a nice black color and now all the icing is dry but the black! Will it Dry??? Should I have done something else? HELP

3 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:05am
post #2 of 4

That's how I make my RI. I probably use half a bottle to get the right color of black. I've never had it stay wet. Let it sit overnight. If it doesn't dry it probably meant you didn't have enough icing in the mix.

DrewsCrows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DrewsCrows Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 4

my black royal icing kind of does the same thing. it's the only color that stays looking a little dewy even after a day or two of drying. i dont know what it is. but it DOES dry, it just still looks like it's sweating.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 4

I know this won't help now, but next time, try using a darker base color before adding the black AND letting it set for several hours before you use it.

Starting with a brown or combination of leftover colors is what many decorators do to get a dark black. I add cocoa powder to my icing that I am going to color black first, so that it needs less coloring and masks some of the bitter taste of the color with chocolate flavor.

Letting the icing sit in an airtight container for several hours or overnight before using will allow the color to deepen, so you have to use less to get the color you want.

The more coloring you add, the more time it takes to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%