Starting A Part-Time Bakery Business At Home

Business By cake n bake Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 5:29am by scp1127

cake n bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake n bake Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 4

I'm aware you can't really work at home in the kitchen but a commerical kitchen. As a hobby of mine i would like to start a small home bakery business part-time and keep my regular job. I was thinking of starting off small at a farmers market and sell locally. But where do i begin and do i need to write up a business plan and how do i know if the name i want to use is not taking? Advice anyone? the name i came up with is Belle and Scotty's bakery i name it after my cat's.
If it helps i live in Maryland

3 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 4

Call you local health department. They will be able to tell you if you can bake from home and any restrictions that apply.

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 4

In Maryland you cannot bake out of your home and sell to the public. The exception to that rule would be selling at local farmers markets however you could only sell at the farmer market not outside locally (like you stated).If you want to sell from your home you have to have a seperate comercial kitchen in your home, and I believe that your home must be zoned commercial to have a bakery. But contact you local health department because rules vary from county to county.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 5:29am
post #4 of 4

I'm in MD too. I am posting to just let you know to stay close to the HD. MD is strict and expensive to start up. You may not get much response from the HD because they are inundated with home baking questions, when the cost is prohibitive. Your best bet is to go to the office and ask for an application. Study it and consult a contractor about costs. When you have the funds and a plan, then contact them and they are wonderful to work with, both locally and at the state office. They also keep a close eye on unlicensed bakers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%