Sugar Hydrangeas?!?!?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 8:50pm by tortomanie

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:14am
post #1 of 14

Need to make some for a wedding cake soon. And im not normally into making lots of sugar flowers.

Can anyone recommend some good cutters/ vieners/how to's? Also what is the smallest you have seen? I'd like to have something small enough for say a 6" round. Then maybe an even smaller set for doing something for cupcakes.

Suggestions? Tutorials? I'm grateful for any info you can share!

13 replies
CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:29am
post #2 of 14

Or do you know of any good places to buy pre-made flowers?

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:33am
post #3 of 14

I love Petalsweets tutorial. You can google it, and it's two parts, I think. I bought a cutter/veiner set from Global Sugar Art. It's a small and large cutter, and a two-piece silicone veiner. I really love the set, and using Petalsweets tutorial was very easy.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #4 of 14

Try www. discount sugar flowers . com (just take out spaces) for inexpensive sugar flowers in all sizes.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:00am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

I love Petalsweets tutorial....

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

You can buy the cutters and veiner from Cakes by Design - Scott Clark Woolley. They are good price and good quality. I guess those are what Petalsweets uses.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #6 of 14

Wilton also makes a set that seems to be pretty good.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:42am
post #7 of 14

I'm a third vote for Petalsweet's tutorial. I also got a flower and leaf cutter from GSA. I didn't use a mold, I veined them myself. They've become among my favorite flowers to make, they're so pretty and delicate. Time-consuming, though.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:24am
post #8 of 14

Just tried the Wilton gum paste flower cutters and ejectors last week. It worked great, not so stressful. I've tried other methods. Since this cake was done at the last moment, Wilton was great! HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2176365/2176371

Prima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prima Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 14

I, too, am a huge fan of the Petalsweet hydrangea tutorial. I am a newbie to cake design, and her tutorial saved my life when I had a recent request for hydrangeas for a wedding cake. I also use the hydrangea cutters & veiners from Scott Woolley. They are wonderful, and the smaller cutter (I believe it's about 1"-1.5") is just the right size to use on cupcakes & small cakes. I also purchased the hydrangea center maker, which ensures that all the centers are the same size. I've included a picture of some of my practice hydrangeas for the wedding cake, so you can see the detail of the cutters.

missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:51am
post #10 of 14

I use hydrangea cutter (4 petal shape) and silicone veiner to add texture. these can be found from global sugar art.
time consuming yes. but oh so pretty when done. and the good news is you can do it weeks before the cake!
also the bud former was a time saver.
do you have specific questions?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:06am
post #11 of 14

I also used the Wilton ones. Look at the most recent cake in my pictures. I was a little disappointed that there was only one size, but I thought they turned out ok.

BakerChick21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerChick21 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 14

You could also make fondant carnations. You just take a circle cutter(whichever size you need) and just frill the edges with a toothpick and then using a piece of wire with a hook bent into the top, fold it around the wire and just keep layering it until you get the look you want. I will look for the tutorial and post it.

Here is the tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zq0vKjAsjc&list=PLA2EB19BB9B72DE01&index=10&feature=plpp_video

There are also other tutorials by this lady, all of them are pretty good and wonderfully informative.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 14

Try Edna De La Cruz' site designmeacake dot com. She sells a good DVD and the cutter/veiner set for the hydrangeas.

tortomanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%