Making Syrup For A Sponge Cake

Baking By RWakefield Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 11:57pm by RWakefield

RWakefield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RWakefield Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making petit fours for a wedding shower. This is my first time using sponge cake and the recipe says to soak it in syrup. I have a recipe for simple syrup, one part sugar, one part water, how do I go about flavoring this? Or is there any other type of syrup that can be used?

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:35am
post #2 of 4

I use alcohol and just add it. It thins the syrup a little, but I add about 25% more with the alcohol and no problems.

sugarmommy83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmommy83 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:42am
post #3 of 4

Most syrup recipe's i have seen are pretty much the water with sugar and then you can add a liquer of your choice (rum, grand marnier, fruit flavor liquers, etc)or u can dissolve instant coffee in it, or lemon juice,lime juice, creme de cacao (not sure what that is exactly)and depends on the cake too i suppose. Really i think the possibilities r endless to flavor it. I actually havent made it before but have been wanting to try for a long time, im just not sure what kind of syrup to make and which filling would best compliment it! If u come up with a good combo that works please share!

RWakefield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RWakefield Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 4

I added lemon juice to the syrup and used a raspberry filling! Perfect complimentary flavors! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%