Preparing Cake Dummies

Decorating By GracieJean Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm by BlakesCakes

GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 2

If I sand them off I will still have a sunken area on my dummy.

I will try filling it in with shortening, thanks for that tip. Is that what you coat your dummy with before putting fondant over it? Seems like it might not stand up too it might melt? I assumed I was going to have to use buttercream or something on it before placing the fondant to get it to stick and smooth on the surface.

I should have just sanding the edges myself as I only wanted them slightly rounded. I just didn't want a sharp edge that might tear the fondant. Ugh, well we live and we learn. Hopefully they'll give me part of my money back tho since what they did do was sloppy and uneven.

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 2

I get my dummies from several sources.

I'd say that 80% of them come in very good condition, but still require some touch ups. The other 20% require some real work. Sometimes it seems to be a result of the shipping process, sometimes just the stock I was sent.

There usually is a thin, hard "seam" on the rounds. Once sanded down, it's flush with the sides.

Even if they look perfect, I still sand them lightly anyway. There's always a nubbin somewhere.

Styrofoam is pretty fragile. It gets dinged just banging into itself. I can't sweat having to run a sanding block over a dummy a few times.

I cover all my dummies with fondant over crisco. It makes for an easy application and easy removal should I decide to re-use the form.


Quote by @%username% on %date%