School Fall Fun Fair - ?? & Pricing

Decorating By FondantDreams Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm by pinklatte

FondantDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantDreams Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so I am new decorator and need to get my name out there into the community so this is a potentially a nice start. I have a few ideas but don't want to be overwhelmed nor do I want to blow myself and name out of the water, KWIM? I want to show people what I can do but don't have a lot of time to do a lot of full sized cakes so I was thinking cupcakes, mini-cakes and petite fours. I want people to also know that my cake isn't JUST from a box so I am considering samples of the cake itself. What are your thoughts on my ideas? Should I make a couple of full sized cakes to sell along with a few dozen cupcakes and petite fours dressed up as 2 bite cakes for mini examples of my full sized work?

How about pricing all of these things? Is $30 a full sized cake, $3 a cupcake, $8 a mini-cake and $1 each petite four OK prices?

Also, should I be getting business cards or flyers made up? What else should I know before this vendor event? I want this to be successful!

TIA!

10 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 8:38am
post #2 of 11

My daughter goes to a prep school where price is not an issue, but for fairs, the kids don't bring a ton of money and the parents aren't in a premium buying mode. I do many fundraisers and I've found that pricing to sell so that the school raises money is the best option and the donation is in the spirit of giving to the school. This is an opportunity to have people taste my product, but that is secondary to the fundraising.

If this is a fair for profit where you rent a space, is the income of the parents in line with buying $30.00 cakes and $3.00 cupcakes, or will only a few be interested? If this isn't your target market, this fair may not help you as much as you think. At a rented space fair, I would not sell at full price, even though I may have a sign posting special fair prices along with the regular price.

So my advice is to sell low, $2.00 cc, 6" cakes at about $10.00, purely for the kids and make sure that your products are still reflective of your recipes.

Just a note: In both of my states, the HD can and has shown up. Make sure you are licensed. The school may not know this so be sure you have covered your bases. MD requires that the school obtain a permit that lists every food vendor and they must be licensed. I did one just today and the hamburger/hotdog/barbecue had to go under my license (I have a full commercial license that covers all food) as well as the cookies. The reason we know, my daughter, the VP, and the Pres of student council both have mothers who own bakeries. Remember, if this is not a bake sale, but a for-profit or fundraiser activity, you need to consult the HD.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 11

I have found from experience that people are at a fair to spend a few dollars on items and not $30.00 for a cake .They also don't want to walk around with a large cake box in their hand.so I think your best bet is small items like cupcakes,cookies,squares and mini cakes etc...

FondantDreams Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you all for your tips, in talking to my husband last night we also came to the same conclusion so I will go smaller and charge less at this event. Thank you!

Oh, I will also ask about selling food there but in the years I've been attending these functions it's never seemed to be an issue. Food for thought though, thanks!

Butterflyxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterflyxo Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:34am
post #5 of 11

I am actually doing the same thing for my sons school for the fall festival. I am trying to get a side business at home doing cakes and I think that is a great place to start. Like the others have said there will be lots of kids and families and they are not going to have a lot of money to spend. I am going to make cupcakes and sell them in singles and in 6 packs, also doing decorated cookies and just for fun candy apples. I think it would be a great idea to make up little business cards or flyers that way if people like what you made they will come running back for more. I still haven't made up pricing for my stuff yet but definetly keep it small you don't want to go over board either and not make any profit. I hope things go good for you.

Butterflyxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterflyxo Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #6 of 11

scp Im glad you menioned about a license. I actually dont have a license yet but I will definetly ask the school. Although I wouldn't think it would be an issue because they actually sent a letter home asking for people to donate baked goods for the fair.... I guess we will see

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:36am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyxo

scp Im glad you menioned about a license. I actually dont have a license yet but I will definetly ask the school. Although I wouldn't think it would be an issue because they actually sent a letter home asking for people to donate baked goods for the fair.... I guess we will see

I think it depends on where you are, contact your HD to see. I was thinking about doing it for our Christmas Shop this year mostly because I'm very involved in PTO and we're trying to "sell" tables for people to set up...anyway, in Ohio, there are certain rules you have to follow, but you don't have to have a license. But that totally differs from state to state. Also, I think $30 is too much. Our PTO gives a price range they'd like people to stay in, the kids don't come to these things with a ton of money in their pockets.

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 5:01am
post #8 of 11

We just went to the fall fair at my kid's school and there was a cupcakes booth with cupcakes priced at $2 each. They sold okay but were kind of slow.

FondantDreams Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklatte

We just went to the fall fair at my kid's school and there was a cupcakes booth with cupcakes priced at $2 each. They sold okay but were kind of slow.

I talked with my DH and we've agreed that $1 per mini cake/cupcake is what I will do, those will give people an idea of what I can do with larger cakes and I will have business cards too.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 11

Fondantdreams you could always decorate a cake dummy if you want to show off your decorating skills.

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, if you give out business cards, a lot of the parents that pass by will remember and hopefully you get more business. If you have a fully decorated sample cake, it will get them and their kids excited about getting a birthday cake from you. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%