Raw Cake...please Help

Baking By mom2bnb Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:43am by regymusic

mom2bnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2bnb Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 5:59am
post #1 of 8

Ok, in all my years, I have never had a cake not be cooked. The toothpick came out clean, and now...after the cake is cooled, as I cut the top off, it's not quite cooked. Any suggestions? Is there any way to salvage it?
Thanks!

7 replies
UrsCor82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrsCor82 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:38am
post #2 of 8

Unfortunately I wouldn't use it. Trying to "recook" the cake after it has cooled won't really work since you will overcook the outside and Underfloor the middle. I would make a new one. Good luck!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:19am
post #3 of 8

It depends if it is for a customer.
If it is just for family you could possibly cut out the undercooked part, bake another cake (of complimentary flavour?) and put it into the 'hole' in the middle of the bigger cake, and/or put filling into the hole if it is only small?

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:21am
post #4 of 8

I just had the same thing happen to me. Toothpick clean! Go to level it a couple of hours later and it's raw! I did a search for underdone cakes and found this forum. From yesterday. Who would've thought. I'm so upset I could cry.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #5 of 8

I have been baking for many years and have made homemade angel food cakes with no problem until lately. Twice in the last couple of months I have tried an angel food and a sponge cake and both came out clean when tested in several places with a skewer(because it was long enough) . They also both had cracks in top and browned like they are supposed to be and so took out of the oven and flipped over on top of a wine bottle and about 10 minutes later the cake fell out of the pan because it was not done enough. Well both cakes I was doing for company, but only one did I have time and uy ingredients on hand to rescue the cake so I could still use it. I made a trifle out of it and it was awesome. The other one I wanted to make a trifle out of, but did not have the money to go buy the stuff I would need to do that. it wasn't much, but more than I had. So if you are ever stuck for someway to use that cake that is partly undone(assuming it is a small amount) make a trifle. They are delicous and no one ever knows it was a rescue job.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 8

I've been baking for 3 decades, and today was the first time this ever happened to me. Recently, I have started to consider cooking by temp. Has anyone else given this a try?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 8

regymusic: What do you mean cooking by temp? I thought that was what I was cooking by? I just set my timer so I can check what I am cooking when suggested cook time is up, but if I don't think or I can see that it is not done I go by what I feel is right and other measures too, but like I and others have said that when known tests come out "done" and you have tried more than one than how do you predict it is not done? I also think that I need to get an oven thermometer to check some things out. See if my oven is cooking at the temperature it says it is. Interested in learning what "cooking by temperature" is. Thanks.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:43am
post #8 of 8

jules5000

When I say cooking by temp, I mean actually inserting a temp gauge into the cake to check to see if it's doneb. So for instance, a cake might be done when it reaches 250 Farenheit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%