Cake Pops... Where Did I Go Wrong?!

Baking By bakingmywaytowealth Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 3:57am by bakingmywaytowealth

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:53am
post #1 of 9

So I took a try at making cake pops and for some reason as easy as it appears I couldnt get it to work for me. I think I may have put too much icing in the crumbled cake because when I went to insert the stick it went straight through. Another thing is, I made the Wilton's buttercream icing and I used shortening so Im wondering if the shortening made it greasy so much that the stick would not hold the pop?

Can anyone provide any direction on making cake pops? Oh and another thing... had such a hard time melting the candy melts. That too seems so easy but it just didnt work for me so any direction on the best way to melt candy melts would be helpful also!

THANKS SO SO MUCH!!!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

I've found that about 6 cups of crumbled cake only needs about 1/2 cup of icing.
Are you using Wilton candy melts? Switch to another brand.

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:28am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've found that about 6 cups of crumbled cake only needs about 1/2 cup of icing.
Are you using Wilton candy melts? Switch to another brand.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I used Wilton's Candy Melts.

Are Candy Waffers ok? I'm not sure which brand this is.

Thanks again!

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 9

Bakerella has a great how to video I believe on her sit to help you w/the basics of cake pops. I don't think the shortening was the culprit. It could have been too much icing as Leah suggested.
I agree w/Leah on the candy melts, use another brand, my favorite is merkens, it's easier to work w/and taste SOOO much better!
Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Maite

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

also, using a small crock pot or the Wilton Melting Pot helps tremendously with keeping the chocolate/candy melts warm and melted

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 9

I agree sounds like too much icing. Just use a little and see how that goes.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:33am
post #7 of 9

Sounds like too much icing. But here's bakerella's video.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811876373/?tag=cakecentral-20

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:40am
post #8 of 9

You can try a couple of things to save the batch. You can add flour to make it stiffer or you can crumble it onto a cookie sheet and put it in the oven for a bit (10 minutes or so, like cookies) to dry it out.

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #9 of 9

THANK You all so much! This is very helpful!

I'm going to practice making some and I'll post a pic so you all can see how they turned out.

Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%