Fondant Over Cream Cheese Frosting??? Need Help.

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 10:27pm by dawnybird

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. As a newbie, I'm so appreciative to those of you who are willing to share your experience. I have read that you should not put fondant on cream cheese frosting. Is that true? If so, why? I'm making the crusting lemon cream cheese b/c from this site and would like to cover it with fondant. I'm new to fondant as well. Only used it twice before. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I've read that cream cheese has a reaction with fondant that makes it break down and become very soft, almost like melting. I would advise that instead of using the frosting all around the cake, just use it as a filling and crumb coat. Then cover the cake with either buttercream, dark chocolate ganache, or white chocolate ganache before covering it with fondant.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with the previous post...cc bc is really not good under fondant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 6

OK, i looked at that recipe (also printed it) It actually says it crusts. So , if it does crust, then you can use it under fondant. The original recipe for cream cheese icing has only butter and cream cheese, and that DOES NOT CRUST. That is the one everyone says not to use under fondant. I don,t know what makes this one crust, unless it is the amt. of powder sugar to the rest of the ingredients. But there is a decorator cream cheese on this site also. It is also on Designmeacake.com. You can definetly use that one under fondant., because of the crisco or hi-ratio shortening. So you could use that one and add the lemon zest and juice accordingly. That would crust for you.Again this recipe that you are talking about says it does crust. When you go to adding crisco or hi-ratio shortening to cream cheese icing, it takes away the original taste (tangy), but it is till good. I first saw that Earlene Moore had something similiar on her site, I made it for a wedding cake and it went really well. good luck. why don,t you make a small amt. of this recipe that you have and see if it crust. You could also p/m the person that put it on this site and ask her for sure that it really crust. . hth

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 6

I just made a cake with crusting cream cheese frosting under fondant carved to look like a motorcycle. I even put it in the fridge overnight (well wrapped), so I had two no-nos. To make it work, the frosting must crust (you can even add some powdered egg white to help it crust as I did), and I added a little tylose to the fondant to make it handle the refrigeration/humidity better. When I took the cake out of the fridge, it was a little humid out but not terrible, so after letting the cake sit in its wrapping for 45 mins., I set the cake by a fan to prevent condensation. Make sure the frosting has crusted on the cake before putting the fondant on it. And make sure the frosting is thick enough as cream cheese frosting is often runny. I like the lemon in it as it cuts the sweetness of all that powdered sugar. Good luck.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys so much. Those are great tips. You've probably saved me from a cake disaster!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%