Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla

Baking By lynn780 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 12:12pm by matthewkyrankelly

lynn780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn780 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 21

Does anyone know of a place to get good Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla from in large quantity. Thank you.

20 replies
brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 21

Have you tried global sugar art? They usually have quantity discounts.

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 21

I get it by the gallon on amazon.com

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 21

I apologize I buy mine in a half gallon on amazon.com but I think they sell it by the gallon as well. I pay like $32 for the half gallon

tatita73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatita73 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:04am
post #5 of 21

Hi. Have you tried Dominican Vanilla? It has a really nice taste. I use it for all my baking. I get mine for $20 the gallon. I get mine from local shops and you could get it from e-bay.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #6 of 21

I buy mine from Silver Cloud estates. Well.....I think its Madagascar... icon_redface.gif

They sell in gallons and lots of other sizes as well.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:04am
post #7 of 21

On line a place called cooks flavorings I bought their rum and it was out of this world.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:05am
post #8 of 21

Have you considered making it?

For about thirty bucks you can buy enough madagascar bourbon vanilla beans to make 8 to 10 gallons of double vanilla.

You don't need good vodka and the vanilla is spectacular.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:07am
post #9 of 21

tatita73, may I ask where you got your Dominican vanilla? I searched and bought some, dark and light, from what I thought was a reputable dealer. That stuff I got was nasty. I have heard good things about Dominican vanilla and I love to offer customers exotic flavors. I'd love to try again. I even have a recipe waiting for it, Dominican Meringue Buttercream.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:46am
post #10 of 21

Matthewkyrankelly, where do you get your vanilla beans? Anyplace I look In Canada (even on Canadian websites), beans are about $8.50 for two.

tatita73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatita73 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:45am
post #11 of 21

scp1127, I buy mine directly from the importer. I'm sorry for your bad experience. Did you buy it at a local shop? I used to sell them thru the internet but I had to stop, between baking and shipping it was getting hectic. But if you send me a pm I would gladly try to help you. Thanks for asking.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:53am
post #12 of 21

Go to e b a y and look up vanilla. I purchased $25 of Madagascar bourbon extract grade beans. With the order they sent some free Tahitian vanilla beans. Quite a lot of vanilla. The company is v a n i ll a p r o d u c t s u s a. Sorry about the extra spaces, but you never know what gets through the filters here.

Good luck

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

tatita73, may I ask where you got your Dominican vanilla? I searched and bought some, dark and light, from what I thought was a reputable dealer. That stuff I got was nasty. I have heard good things about Dominican vanilla and I love to offer customers exotic flavors. I'd love to try again. I even have a recipe waiting for it, Dominican Meringue Buttercream.

SCP1127, be careful. What you probably got was laced with coumarin. Read where it says Dominican Republic. This is only one of a lot of documents out there. It's very common and it is not only the Mexican vanilla that's involved. Heck, lately I am even suspicious of what my sister buys in Ecuador. I'm going to start sending her vanilla beans so that she can make her own.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_93.html

You make a delicious vanilla already, and you know what goes into it.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 21

I make My Own, I use Absolute Vodka, And I bought the vanilla Beans, on EBAY, For $25 for A pound nd got a quaretr pound for free. it's called www.VanillaproductsUSA.com Here's the topic here on CC.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-706027.html

lynn780 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for all the great places to look. But I may tend to make my own. Can someone share how to do it. Also, is there a difference in taste if you make your own. Thank you.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 21

The above link I posted tells you how to make it.,and the taste is 100% better.

lynn780 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 21

Thanks. I found the supplier on ebay. Will be ordering beans very soon. Thanks again for your help.

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:12am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Go to e b a y and look up vanilla. I purchased $25 of Madagascar bourbon extract grade beans. With the order they sent some free Tahitian vanilla beans. Quite a lot of vanilla. The company is v a n i ll a p r o d u c t s u s a. Sorry about the extra spaces, but you never know what gets through the filters here.

Good luck

I agree. I get mine from the same place, although if you go to thier direct webpage the pricing is slighly better than the e bay store.

I have been making my own vanilla (I actually make Tahitian, Madagascar, and Mexican vanilla) it is spectacular! I would never go back.

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:26am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn780

Thanks for all the great places to look. But I may tend to make my own. Can someone share how to do it. Also, is there a difference in taste if you make your own. Thank you.

Yes, the taste is significantly better! Almost all vanilla sold on the market has water added to it, so you end up paying for a watered down product. Most also add some form of sugar sweetener as well. I prefer to have the sugar added in my recipe and not as part of my vanilla. I also try to let mine age for a full year if I can. I just pull out a large cutting board, a quart canning jar and a sharp paring knife and cut open and scrape the beans when I am watching tv after the kids go to bed. (I keep my jars in a cool dark place while aging and try to shake them once a week or as often as I think about it).

I typically use about half a pound of extract beans for each quart bottle that I make using vodka. Here are a couple good links that explain it pretty well www.vanillareview.com/make-vanilla-extract/ or http://www. vanillareview. com/ make-vanilla-extract/ (take out the spaces if the actual link gets filtered out) and epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry/?id=5058

I would take the time to read through the comments on that first link as well. I hope that helps!

lynn780 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:51am
post #20 of 21

I am extremely excited to get started with this. I do have a strange question, though. When I do open a store front, it is in a very small town and we don't have a lot of anything. I am going to have a little area that I will sell baking spices, maybe a few liners or anything baking related. Is this vanilla something that I could put into 4oz jars and sell, after it is ready? Any thought on this. Thanks.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:12pm
post #21 of 21

Most likely yes, you can sell it. Many people do. However, you will want to check with your state and get info from the right department(liquor, business, agriculture) to see who covers the rules.

Because it is an extract and sold in small quantities you will probably be OK. But, you will want to know what sizes you can legally sell without an alcohol permit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%