This Cupcake Stand

Baking By karukaru Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 2:08am by Osgirl

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone!
Do you know how to make this cupcake stand?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48197980@N08/4764527163/in/photostream/

I know the bases are cake drums but I am not sure what the middle is and how to attach it. Thank you! =)

11 replies
angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:15am
post #2 of 12

i've seen some tutorials that use any canned item like soup or vegetables and they attach it with hot glue.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 12

I would use cake drums and styrofoam cake dummies and attach them with a low temp glue gun.

lqueds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lqueds Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:19am
post #4 of 12

I make my cupcake stands with cake boards covered in foil paper with coordinating ribbon around the edge. I use styrofoam circles hot glued together and also covered in ribbon. I also hammer in a wooden dowel thru the center of all the levels to make sure it is more stable. HTH

karukaru Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:20am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

I would use cake drums and styrofoam cake dummies and attach them with a low temp glue gun.

Styrofoam cake dummies or regular Styrofoam from Michael's?

lqueds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lqueds Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #6 of 12

I use regular styrofoam circles from Michaels, Joanns and sometimes the dollar stores. I have found the cake dummies to be too expensive. I also use a high temp hot glue gun and seem to have no problems with everything sticking together.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:03am
post #7 of 12

Oh for sure you can use the cheaper styrofoam ones from the dollar store or craft stores. You know what they say, A penny saved is a penny earned!

UrsCor82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrsCor82 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:48am
post #8 of 12

If I was going to make this stand I would buy a pvc pipe 4" to 5" in diameter and use that as my core. Purchase round plywood boards and drill a hole to match the pipe and set it up that way. That way you have a sturdy cake/cupcake stand that can be reused multiple times.

If you want to make a disposable stand, I would still go the pvc route but use styrofoam boards instead.

Just a though icon_smile.gif Good luck!

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 6:16am
post #9 of 12

UrsCor82, how would you stop all the plywood circles from sliding all the way to the bottom and squishing the cupcakes below them?

UrsCor82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrsCor82 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 7:26am
post #10 of 12

Brackets screwed directly to the pipe.

Also I would decorate (cover) the pipe with coordinating ribbon etc... that way you can change it based on the theme of the cake/cupcakes

karukaru Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks You! I think I'm gonna go with the disposble stand with the plywood! That way it is easy to store and I change the decor whenever I want to

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #12 of 12

I used canned goods for the skinny middle parts. I wrapped scrapbooking paper around them and hot glued them to the cake drums. Afterwards I could still use the canned food. I like using the canned goods because it provides them with some stability and weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%