Lorann Taught Me A Very Valuable Lesson.....

Baking By Sue9069 Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 7:07pm by nashka

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 17

When using LorAnn oil to flavor your icing, don't continue to put oil into it for flavoring until it reaches a flavor that you like. Why? Two hours later it's going to taste like you dumped the entire bottle in it!! icon_redface.gif

16 replies
Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 17

Good one! thumbs_up.gif

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 17

Good one! thumbs_up.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 17

less is definitely more when it comes to flavoring I find. I had this same experience with doing a coconut lemon cupcake... it was gross... Learned my lesson for next time!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 17

since those are such concentrated flavors I am sure that is very true. I use those to make truffles with and a little goes a long way. fortunately I have never had that happen to me. Thanks for sharing.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 17

I used wayyyy too much caramel oil in a filling and totally learned my lesson! It was embarassing! lol!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 17

I learned that lesson the hard way too, with some mints many years ago. I was lucky I just melted them again and added a bunch more chocolate.

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 17

I did that with mint chip - oh man it was totally gross. lol Lesson learned!

madis_granny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madis_granny Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 17

Sorry this is a dumb question,but I am still learning all this. How much oil would you use in a batch of frosting. Say a batch has 2lbs of powder sugar? icon_redface.gif

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:07am
post #10 of 17

It depends, when I made a few batches with 1kg of icing sugar (about 8 cups) I used an entire little dram? The smallest ones you can get. But when I tried baking with them I had little to no luck, very dried out cake or fake tasting.

For buttercream, taste test is probably the best way. When you taste the flavour, let it sit for an hour and check again, it does really get potent as it sits so you don't want to add too much.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 17

madis_granny: I know it seems like such a small amount, but I would say no morethan an 1/8t. to a batch of icing. Like the other girl said wait an hour and taste. This is one of those things that will get more powerful with time. I would say at the very most a 1/4 th. but if an 1/8th is not enough don't just add another 1/8th add just a couple of drops mix again really really good and wait again so it has time to absorb and you want to make sure that you have it really mixed in well in the icing. Otherwise you are going to have pockets with a lot of flavor and the rest nothing. Since this oil is so concentrated and you are using such a small amount you want to continue mixing for awhile after you add. I am fortunate in that my taste buds are very sensitive so I am able to go very easy and taste any small addition I make. I think that that is one reason I have never overdone it. Even with regular extracts I tend to go on the less is more idea. I am one that believes that you are trying to enhance flavor not throw it at them so go gently with this Lorann flavoring and if you have a doubt ask some one else to taste a small bite of it after you have waited the one hour time and before adding any more in. Best wishes.

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 17

I was making filling for cupcakes when I did it. Got them all filled and a couple hours later decided that I was going to sneak one. (They weren't for a customer or anything....just taking them to work) Thought I was going to gag!! I tried the Pina Colada one and figured that it was just that one that was strong. Then went on to Root Beer and again nasty. You would have thought that I would have stopped the tasting at that point, but nooooooooo.....the next one was Key Lime! For those of you that have used the oil, imgaine putting a dram in about 2 cups of icing. That's about how strong it was. I can laugh at it now, but it wasn't too funny at the time. I was so darned proud of how they looked!!! That just goes to show you that "looks can be deceiving" and "don't judge a book by it's cover." icon_lol.gif

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 17

I too am new to LoRann oils. When I was checking them out for a customer, the rep told me that you only use 1/4 tsp of the concentrated oil to 1 tsp of regular flavoring. She also recommended letting the product (in this case icing) sit for two hours to completely absorb the flavors.

madis_granny Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you all for that info! I have a few bottles, but have'nt had the courage to use them icon_wink.gif I just love CC, I have gotten so much great info! You all are awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again!

madis_granny Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 17

Thank you all for that info! I have a few bottles, but have'nt had the courage to use them icon_wink.gif I just love CC, I have gotten so much great info! You all are awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again!

nashka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashka Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 17

Ha ha ha!

nashka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashka Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 17

Ha ha ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%