Refridgerating Fondant Covered Cakes....

Decorating By rekenn Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 1:41am by thumbs

rekenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rekenn Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 5:44am
post #1 of 7

CC member,

Why is that everything I learned (interweb) about fondant warns against placing fondant cakes in fridges. But it seems like every cake decorating show I have seen they do place the cakes in the fridge. Are these magical fondant safe fridges. Because I myself have experienced the condensation on fondant after pulling a fondant covered cake out of the fridge, but when I see it done on tv they seem perfect.

My second question: How many days prior to delivery do you start decorating a cake. I mean either frosting with buttercream or covering in fondant. I usually do it the day prior (this can be overwhelming when multiple cakes are do the same day), but was wondering what everyone else was doing.

Thanks,

Renee

6 replies
ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

You know I was thinking the same thing. Last week was very warm and humid here in NE Pennsylvania. I had a bridal shower cake to make and I needed to make some fondant spiders and a bat. I made the spiders on Mon, forgot about the bat which I did on Thurs morning. I had stored the remaining fondant in a plastic bag in the fridge and when I first tried to make the bat the fondant stuck to everything. Anyway, I do the same thing. I usually make the cake the morning of the event if it is in the afternoon or evening, or the night before if it is needed in the morning. I think this is the 1st cake order I had for this year tho. icon_sad.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #3 of 7

Placing rolled fondant in a fridgerator depends on

1. the brand used - it's ingredients and their proportions
2. the environment in the kitchen - the moisture in the air
3. type of refridgerator: old/new, accuracy of it's technology, frost-free or regular, space for air to circulate, etc
4. the environment in the kitchen when removed
4. handling and storage after removal

on tv they seem perfect --> commercial kitchen commercial refridgeration etc

Rolled fondant is a sugarpaste: it absorbs moisture from the air. It does not need to be refridgerated. Store in a cool place, in a cardboardbox ..

Decorative items of rolled fondant can be made at any time before they are needed.

Covering a cake in rolled fondant can be done days before it is required. Once covered, the cake is sealed tightly by the rolled fondant and it does not dry out.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7

I use MMF and always refrigerate my cakes. It does get very humid here. Once they are cold, I keep them out only long enough to work on them. If they start getting sticky or soft, I put it back in to firm up. Once they are done I let them sit out until room temp - without touching them at all. They always have worked fine.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:47am
post #5 of 7

I use fondant from Albert Uster and it goes in the fridge fine without condensation.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 7

I use Satin Ice- I ice and cover my cakes the 2 days before they are due, then I decorate the day before (of course that's when things go perfectly...)

Anyway, I refrigerate my cakes, I use SMBC and it's easier to work against when it's cold. I do get some condensation when I pull the cakes out, but by the time they come to room temp it has all evaporated. As long as I'm careful not to touch the surface the condensation doesn't cause any problems. But, when I say I get condensation, I don't have visible beads of water. The surface is just tacky and "shiney" from being damp... so I don't know if maybe other people get worse condensation?

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #7 of 7

The first cake I put in the fridge was a black and white golf bag cake. I had to put it in the fridge to help keep the cake firm (it was starting to slide a bit). I was terrified when the cake came out and there was so much condensation, I thought for sure the black as going to run into the white. But it didn't it was very sticky, but as long as no body touched it, it did great. By the time it was presented at the party the condensation was gone and the cake was perfect icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%