What Order Do I Carve/fill/ice/cover In Fondant?!

Decorating By CakesbyMAE Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm by sweettreat101

CakesbyMAE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMAE Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 6

I've already baked 2, 1" cakes and am goin to add a layer of buttercream to build up the height. Do I freeze them then stack them or stack them then freeze them? do I carve before or after i freeze (being carved into liquor bottle shape? I've never carved or covered a cake in fondant before, any hints?

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 6

I stack and fill..Then I carve and crumbcoat and then cover in fondant..All of this I do in stages so the cake has time to get cold and settle.Over the course of about 2 days.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

I would freeze the cakes. Then carve so the top view is where I want it. By then the cakes are usually thawing. Then I fill and finish the final carving, crumb coat and then fondant.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 6

Freeze, fill, carve, ice and cover in fondant. Is it a lay down flat bottle? I think that's what I am understanding. Be sure you are left with a butter cream dam after carving if you are using somthing else for a filling. My sister in law gave me an electric knife a few years ago which I thought I would never use ....and I haven't for what she thought I would....but when it comes to cake carving it saves me a tonne of time and work!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with the PP. I usually stay to buttercreams or ganache when I carve, just because I would then be able to make changes without cutting into the damm.
It's easier to carve a frozen cake. But cakes don't settle when frozen, so make sure you give your cake some time to settle before adding your crumb coat and fondant (I wrap mine in plastic wrap during the settling).

Good luck, carving cakes is so much fun and highly addictive. icon_lol.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 6

I freeze my cakes then stack and carve. Once the cake has been carved to the desired shape I disassemble and add my filling, frost and cover with fondant. It's easier to carve if your cake is partially frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%