Change A Recipe To Make A Cake Moist & Light

Baking By PersonalizedCupcakes Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 11:15am by scp1127

PersonalizedCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 14

I have a Martha Stewart Snickerdoodle Cupcake recipe that taste's great! BUT the cake is very dense (like a muffin) and the next day, it's dry.

How can I change the recipe so that it's moist and much lighter? (I am comparing it to the moist & light boxed Dunkin Hines cakes)

Here is the recipe:

o  1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
o  1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
o  1 tablespoon baking powder
o  1/2 teaspoon salt
o  1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
o  1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
o  1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
o  4 large eggs, room temperature
o  2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
o  1 1/4 cups milk

Thank you for your help!!! icon_sad.gif

13 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 14

Try separating the whites and yolks. Add the yolks one at a time as before and beat the whites until stiff and fold in at the end.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 14

Maybe do the egg white trick as suggested, and possibly substitute cake flour for the all-purpose flour? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe at a 1 Cup plus 1 T ratio per 1 C all purpose.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 14

instead of butter try oil.

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 14

I was wondering about the cake flour and the butter. I've read that people have replaced their butter with oil to gain moisture so I was considering that. I will definitely try that.

I thought that because there is some cake flour, that the cake would be light - but I guess not. I will have to try using only cake flour and see how it goes.

One thing I do find interesting in the recipe is that it states that you should really eat it the day you frost it. Gee, now I know why! LOL!!!!!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:30am
post #6 of 14

Do you substitute an equal amount of oil for the butter? By weight or by volume?

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:38am
post #7 of 14

Great question! I've never done it, so I have no idea yet...

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 1:22am
post #8 of 14

What about adding a tbsp of oil just before you put it in the oven? You could try putting a simple syrup on the cupcakes as soon as they come out of the oven.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:26am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

BUT the cake is very dense (like a muffin) and the next day, it's dry

1. it's a butter cake not a box cake - it will never taste like Duncan Hines as it does not have emulsifiers or gelling agents, or any other chemicals

2. it is overbeaten: therefore turns out dry.

The old instructions will guarantee a dry dense cake. Don't use a machine !! Take a large metal spoon and mix it in by hand - mix, don't beat!

New instructions: Remove from machine. Using a large metal spoon, add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and mix only until just combined.

Besides being thick and dry, it's a wonder it didn't bounce around the bowl because of the elastic gluten that is being formed during all that beating ...

Substituting cake flour for the all purpose runs the risk of there not being enough gluten to make a stable structure. Substitution is fine so long as you know what it is going to do to the chemical balance of the recipe..

angel1398 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel1398 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:00am
post #10 of 14

I also have used this recipe and it came out very dry, sthe next time I added less cinnamon and it helped it wasn't so dry I also added 1 tbsp of cannola oil

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:07am
post #11 of 14

Thanks! I will try the oil. And thanks Angel! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought they were dense and dry! icon_smile.gif The flavor is great while they're warm, but I will definitely try oil!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #12 of 14

Also try adding some yogurt or sour cream, I found that helped a bit when developing my recipes. I have a client wanting snickerdoodle cake, so be sure to let us know what you find works best. icon_smile.gif

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #13 of 14

Believe it or not, I use mayonnaise with some of my recipes. I've tried sour cream too but mayo works and tastes better in the batter. That's actually of my secret ingredients. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:15am
post #14 of 14

Martha Stewart's recipes are notorious for this type of bad outcome. It looks like a basic cinnamon cupcake. I don't even attempt to tweak her recipes. Thera are plenty of good recipes out there with great reviews. Find one that is rated with similar ingredients. Start from there and then tweak. Tweaking a balanced recipe to your flavor likes is much easier than tweaking a recipe that is already out of balance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%