Freeze Cupcakes

Baking By Crissielyn Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 5:29am by DeshiaCakes

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 12

I have frozen cupcakes before, but actually took the time to wrap each one individually before freezing so it didn't end up being much in the way of a time saver.

My question is, can I bake them and just freeze them in the pan? Meaning, bake them, let them cool, then wrap the entire pan in saran wrap?

Anyone ever try this? If so, how did it work out and did the liners end up pealing away once cupcakes defrosted?

Thanks!!!

11 replies
Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 12

I think I am just going to go ahead and try this. I know I have frozen cakes before in the pan so I cant see how this would be too different.

I am making a couple hundred cupcakes for a Breast Cancer benefit on Saturday and need to do something to get ahead of schedule and wrapping each cupcake separately just isn't in the cards...

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:03am
post #3 of 12

I actually just freeze them slightly on a baking sheet first, for 15 mins or until they are firm, then just carefully place them in a double layer of ziploc freezer bags...they stay quite fresh that way.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 12

and the paper doesnt peel off or get soggy when thawing? I really want to freeze cupcakes but Im terrified

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 12

No, I haven't experienced that... and I have used both paper and foil liners. You may want to try freezing a few yourself in different liners just to see how they fare.

SweetsRMyWeakness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsRMyWeakness Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:42am
post #6 of 12

I let mine cool thoroughly and then freeze them in heavy-duty ziptop freezer bags. It seems to work with regular and foil liners.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:26am
post #7 of 12

I freeze mine all the time, with no problems. I put them in a plastic air tight container after they are cooled. double layer them with wax paper in between the layers, and when I need them, I take the top off the container, and let them thaw. Haven't had any problems with them as far as papers coming off. I have had one come off, and that was my keylime one, and only that one.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 12

I freese mine all the time too in a large tuperware container, I also freeze them with the frosting on them sometimes too and have yet to have any problems! I find (and I'm sure others do too) that freezing them actually makes them moister (if that's a word!) for some strange reason...

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 12

I freeze mine all the time too in a large tuperware container, I also freeze them with the frosting on them sometimes too and have yet to have any problems! I find (and I'm sure others do too) that freezing them actually makes them moister (if that's a word!) for some strange reason...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 12

If you purchase commercially made, uniced, cupcakes, they come in a cardboard box of about 100, stacked in about 6 layers. A piece of waxed paper (parchment?) is placed over the bottom layer, than a piece of cardboard, then more cupcakes/paper/cardboard, etc. until the big box is full.

Our cake club raised money selling cupcakes that could be frosted individually. I bought (at Club cost) the leftovers and used them as surprise gifts to about 150 elementary school kids after I frosted them. They tasted terrific and looked very nice.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 12

I don't freeze cupcakes in the pan, but I do put about 9 in a gallon sized freezer ziplock bag and freeze them by stacking the bags on top of each other. This would probably be faster than wrapping the pan (and obviously faster than wrapping them individually). It won't take as much time either.

DeshiaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeshiaCakes Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 5:29am
post #12 of 12

I never freeze anything after baking!!!! An airtight container will hold for a up to a week on most of my cupcakes (all made from scratch).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%