Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 10:30pm by joyfullysweet

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there! I'm looking to make ruffles on a dummy cake that look similar to this:

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how they did it. For example, I'm not sure if it's just one long ruffle, or smaller ones put together. Any tips?


2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 3

It looks like it's made in rows one on top of the other. Each row is one ruffle. There are two ways to make ruffles. One is to cut a ring shape in your rolled fondant, using either two concentric circle cutters or a special cutter called a Garrett frill cutter, OR to cut striaght strips of fondant. If you use the ring shape, you will need to cut it open so you have a continuous, although curved, strip. Ruffle one edge of the fondant with a cel stick or whatever you have on hand (it needs to be the outer edge of the ring shape), and attach to the cake with tylose glue or melted chocolate/candy melts. The ring shape comes out more "ruffly", because you have to straighten the unruffled edge as you apply it to the cake (withouth stretching it), and this causes the ruffles to bunch up more. Either way, it's a beautiful cake!

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%