Making A Fruit Cake Level

Baking By sjlh Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm by sjlh

sjlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlh Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi

I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to make a fruit cake level once it has been cooked. I find it easy enough with sponge cakes but this cake has quite a few nuts and large fruits in it. I am worried it will crumble when I try to cut it although it is very moist. Should I freeze it first and then carve? Thanks for any help you can give. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 3

If it is madly uneven on the top, then you have not filled the pan/tin correctly. Fruitcakes should not rise much during baking. To correct any doming, the mixture/batter should be pushed to the outer edges, with a slight hollow in the centre.

If there is a significant dome or uneven top, you will have to trim it using a long-bladed knife. Divots and lumps are not relevant at this stage.

Once done: Flip it over onto the board that you are going to decorate it on.

Fruitcake is traditionally decorated with the bottom up to provide a clearly level surface.

You will have to pack any holes etc with either marzipan or sugarpaste to level the surface. Roll a "sausage" of sugarpaste, and pack into under the bottom edge of the cake to stabilise any movement and close any gaps between the cake and the cakeboard.

Ready to cover ...

This will give you an idea:
http://jennyroebuck.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/dave-and-fis-wedding-cake/

sjlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlh Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you very much. Your help is really appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%