Stacked Cake Please Help

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm by Sugarfuse

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:59am
post #1 of 8

my layered/stacked cakes want to ooz icing out of layers when in transporting, how can i stop this from happening? I let the cakes rest over night before layering or stacking them.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 8

You let them rest, but that's not enough. You need to weight the cakes in order to get them to settle properly. Or be brave and really squich them. All explained here - http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-newest.html+trick

Pearl70 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 8

thank you so much- this answered my question.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 8

First of all, do you put a stiff frosting dam between your layers? I make it really stiff and pipe it out of the coupler (no tip) about 1/2" in from the edge of the layer. AFter the filing is spread, the top layer goes on, pressed down and then with that same stiff frosting , I pipe around where the layers meet to fill in the space. Then smooth it off. After that, the crumbcoat goes on and into the frig it goes until it's time for the final coat etc.

Second thing, I never stack a cake ahead of time. The tiers always get delivered separately and then stacked at the venue. So much safer that way and it eliminates alot of stress, worry and that dreaded bulge or whatever.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 8

First of all, do you put a stiff frosting dam between your layers? I make it really stiff and pipe it out of the coupler (no tip) about 1/2" in from the edge of the layer. AFter the filing is spread, the top layer goes on, pressed down and then with that same stiff frosting , I pipe around where the layers meet to fill in the space. Then smooth it off. After that, the crumbcoat goes on and into the frig it goes until it's time for the final coat etc.

Second thing, I never stack a cake ahead of time. The tiers always get delivered separately and then stacked at the venue. So much safer that way and it eliminates alot of stress, worry and that dreaded bulge or whatever.

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 8

I couldn't remember where I saw to squish a cake but it must have been from Leah S. I won't make a layer without smashing because it definitely works! I haven't had a bulge since.

Pearl70 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 10:45am
post #7 of 8

my problem was i never smashed the cake down after adding the icing/filling to get the air out.

Sugarfuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarfuse Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker61

I've started doing this too. While I like having the cake completed and being able to perfect/correct any issues before going to the venue, I feel more comfortable transporting the layers seperately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%