Cakesafe Vs. Cake Stacker System Which Is Better?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 10 May 2014 , 2:09pm by karukaru

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:40pm
post #61 of 86

Thanks Katiebelle I do feel better now! I wonder why do people use SPS with the cake safe? Is there anyone who uses the cake safe with just dowels and cake boards. I know toneda is a great cake artist/baker and she only uses dowels and cake boards according to her youtube video.

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:57pm
post #62 of 86

Where can you purchase the cake safe?

sberryp Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:09pm
post #63 of 86

http://www.cakesafe.com/home/

There have a lot of cool videos too.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:10pm
post #64 of 86

cfpeoples: Their website is cakesafe.com. They are pretty cool! I watched their video. Too bad it wouldn't work for any of the weddings I've done so far icon_sad.gif I like the way it is covered and protected. Maybe someday I'll get one of those too! icon_smile.gif

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:14pm
post #65 of 86

@sberryp, I use SPS because I am dowel-challenged. With SPS I know the legs are going in straight. I have always, always, always had a problem getting my dowels in perfectly straight up and down.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 6:59pm
post #66 of 86

Oh no... I was just answering the question above as to how they turned the cake in that video upside down. I understand that you don't always put a top plate on.

In my experience, caterers are looking for something that is not complicated and that they don't have to worry about losing. I am not against the cake safe as a concept, i just think it's over-priced for what it is. It was more expensive when it first came out too, and I haven't looked at in a long while, but even at the current pricing... too much IMHO.

I think that all of these systems over complicate things. I like not having to worry about things coming back to me. I don't ask for my base boards back... I just factor them into the pricing of my cakes. I wouldn't want to have to chase people down to get my support structure back. I have been doing this for almost 5 years and haven't had an issue that would make me want to spend thousands of dollars on supports and plastic boxes.

Just trying to speak for the ones who don't find this stuff necessary to give another side and maybe save someone a few hundred dollars or more. =] The only time I feel better with a plate and pillar system is for cakes over 4 tiers tall. Then I use a plate and pillars for the bottom tier(s) and deliver in two pieces. =]

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:58am
post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Shipping boxes do a fine job of keeping humidity off of a cake. Just saying.

I tape the sides back up so there is no open seam. It's cheap and lightweight and does the job. I wouldn't spend $300+ on a plastic box. Sorry... I know they work great, and people love them, and if you have the money great, but I prefer to not spend that much since I have multiple cakes going out any given weekend day I'd need 3 of them. There's no way I could justify spending $1000+ on three boxes. That and you need 2 people to carry the damn thing. I deliver most cakes alone.

k.

thumbs_up.gif
I agree 100%!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm
post #68 of 86

I have no experience with a Cake Stacker but I do own a Cake Safe and I have to tell you I couldn't be happier with it! One of the first cakes I traveled , 200 miles over very bumpy roads, a 5 tier wedding cake. Since it was for a friends wedding I was equally nervous it wouldn't work and sure that if it didn't work that I would have lots of time to repair the damage and since the cake was a gift, if it ended up not what I had envisioned it would be ok. Well, not only was the cake ok, it was a DREAM to setup! No more hour to do set up! I simply pulled out the metal rod, plopped the cake topper on and I was DONE! The cake was PERFECT! Since then I have used it to travel hours away from my home town to deliver in other cities with my Cake Safe and not one cake has been even slightly damaged. Even thin sugar flowers have shown up in perfect shape. The stability it offers is amazing. So, yes, I can highly recommend the Cake Safe!

Cat

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:56pm
post #69 of 86

I have 3 Cake Safes, different sizes, and I love them. I cannot imagine delivering wedding cakes without them. It's true that they just about eliminate all the stress involved with transporting a cake, even long distances. On some days, I load all 3 of my Cake Safes in the back of my vehicle and can do 3 deliveries so quickly. I consider them one of the top 3 best investments I've made in my business.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #70 of 86

I am on the Cakesafe side here. I own them, and LOVE them. I know I am looked at as much more professional when I deliver to a venue with a cake in a beautiful clean clear cakesafe than if I walk in with a *shipping box*. I know I get a LOT of comments on it. (and hand out many more business cards too) People at the venues are wowed when they see it! Not to mention that it keeps the cake safe and secure and clean for any type of delivery. I am a professional, and I have expensive tools, this is one of many. I know my Hobart was expensive, as were my magic line pans, and my Agbay. Quality tools are not cheap. I only buy/use ones that are high quality and have a purpose. The cakesafe is money well spent, and the people that own the company are top notch.

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:27pm
post #71 of 86

Good to know.

sberryp Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #72 of 86

I would like to thank everybody sharing your experiences with both products (as well as others).

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:56am
post #73 of 86

I purchased the Cake Safe and have not used it yet because of concerns I have. I usuall dowel 3 or 4 tier cake and use a center dowel thru all tiers. Do you still use a center dowel thru all tiers, since Cake Safe has a rod going thru all tiers? I am also afraid to use it because I think maybe when I use the rod to push down thru the tiers, it won't penetrate the cake boards or hit the dowels inside the cake and down it all comes. Can anyone expaing this?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:01pm
post #74 of 86

Most cut a larger hole in the center of their plates/boards so that the rod can pass through.

sberryp Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:22am
post #75 of 86

Crumbcake-Dowel the cake off center and then you will not worry about the rod hitting the dowel. Toneda dowels her cakes off centered in her you tube video.

crumbcake Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #76 of 86

OK, thanks

crumbcake Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #77 of 86

OK, thanks

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #78 of 86

Crumbcake, if you have ANY concerns whatsoever, just contact Scott or Juli at www.cakesafe.com and they will answer any questions you may have. I talked to them a lot when I first got mine, they really are top notch folks who care about their products. (and BTW, I no longer center dowel my cakes that are delivered in the cake safe - the rod goes right through the foam core I use - which is 1/4" and 1/2" - the system is foolproof!) You'll love it and not know how you did deliveries without it once you use it!

sberryp Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 2:22am
post #79 of 86

The cake made it!!!!!!!! I brought the cake safe!!!! Both companies were very nice and professional. They took the time to answer all of my questions. Here's a picture of the cake. I cut one the dowels shorter and it caused the cake to lean a little. This made me think of cake stackers.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2210012

frstore2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstore2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 10:53am
post #80 of 86

I have a cake safe and have been using it to do deliveries on small hill town roads. So here's my opinion. It is good, and for the most part does what it says. You can tier the cake ahead of time and make sure it is level and even. The cake does remain intact and perfect even on long deliveries. We deliver up to 3 hours in heat. I use cardboard rounds and dowels with the system. The downside is the materials are not that great. My husband dropped one of the sides (which is just a corrugated plastic) and it broke a little. So for the money I would expect something a little more heavy duty. And it does nothing at all for temp control. We have to take the time to create a second cold storage box around it using cold pack, foam, and a shipping box for transport in heat for the cake to arrive cold - even on 1/2 hour trips. The hole in the top is not a big deal. It does not allow you to get creative with the stacking as the center dowel has to go in a straight line through the center of the cakes to work properly. We are investing in a cake stacker system since we do high end weddings and have been getting requests from our planners for chandelier and topsy turvy cakes.

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:06pm
post #81 of 86

AI purchased the cakeSafe box last week and I love it! I had to change my thinking about it when it came to the expense. Atlanta traffic on the weekends has gotten worse and worse especially with road construction tossed in. I can't afford to ruin a brides wedding day. I decided when I take a deposit I will put the money up for a CakeSafe. I purchased a sheeter a couple of years back and I don't know how I lived without it, I feel the same way about the CakeSafe. My clients are worth it and so is my piece of mind.

daugaardsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daugaardsam Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:35pm
post #82 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberryp 

How do we use dummies to suspend cakes like this one?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2105184

The center post goes directly through the center of the entire cake with the cake stackers system, you would just simply slide it on and then slide the next one on and so forth

cakebeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebeans Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 12:36am
post #83 of 86

hi everyoneI i just wanted to know, do you reuse the cake stackers?do you collect them from the venue or do you ask your clients to return it? they're priced at about ~$150 and i was wondering if you just dispose of them (and add it to the cost of the cake) or reuse them (and collect them at the end of the reception)? thanks!

Nyny143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyny143 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 8:31pm
post #84 of 86

AI love cake stackers got it two years ago and never have an issue no matter how high or turvy my cakes are :grin:

Nyny143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyny143 Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 8:35pm
post #85 of 86

AU have to collect all the pieces I usually show the person in charge of serving the cake how to put it apart and leave a box w them to drop everything you can ask for a deposit and give it back when u pick it up the set

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 10 May 2014 , 2:09pm
post #86 of 86

Following

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%