Am I Supposed To Set Up My Own Cake?

Decorating By Junebugs Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 6:12am by KSMill

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 11:04pm
post #31 of 67

Okay, I'v been thinking about this. Do we know when this wedding is? If it is still a little ways off maybe don't be just yet. If you only called her beginning of this week and she hasnt gotten back to you, is it possible she is just on holidays??

As for facebook, i don't know. It does seem strange that there isn't activity. I guess she could have built her own website and doesn't use facebook anymore (although you would think she would tell her FB fans that) or maybe she took the summer off?? (again you would think she would tell FB fans that)

Just a thought, I thought I would be the "glass half full" girl for a min. I just wouldn't want you to order a whole new cake and the get a phone call from her monday morning and then being stuck with 2 cakes or out a deposit on one cake.

kel58 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 11:05pm
post #32 of 67

Okay, I'v been thinking about this. Do we know when this wedding is? If it is still a little ways off maybe don't be just yet. If you only called her beginning of this week and she hasnt gotten back to you, is it possible she is just on holidays??

As for facebook, i don't know. It does seem strange that there isn't activity. I guess she could have built her own website and doesn't use facebook anymore (although you would think she would tell her FB fans that) or maybe she took the summer off?? (again you would think she would tell FB fans that)

Just a thought, I thought I would be the "glass half full" girl for a min. I just wouldn't want you to order a whole new cake and the get a phone call from her monday morning and then being stuck with 2 cakes or out a deposit on one cake.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:40am
post #33 of 67

I believe the OP said that the wedding is next weekend. I'd probably be concerned at this point too if I had been trying to contact the baker for a week and hadn't gotten any response and the wedding was a week away.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #34 of 67

Junebugs: I don't know where you live, but I sure wish I could help you out. I myself got an order from a customer like 2 months ago for this weekend and after I got the cake order my in-laws told my husband and I that they wanted to take us on a little vacation. It would end up putting us home the day before the cake was needed. I emailed the lady and told her the situation and told her that if it was ok with her that I would not charge her the delivery fee, but would deliver it the morning of the party. I also wanted her to know about me being gone because I did not want her to call me and wonder why she couldn't get ahold of me. then wonder if I remembered her cake. This is just for a birthday cake, but to me this is the least that you can do if you are going to be out of town before an important cake like a wedding cake is due. You should also let the bride know how to reach you in case she has any more questions. I am with the others on seeing if you can find someone that can make you another cake or two(like some nice sheetcakes) just in case she doesn't come through for you. Also I would be finding out some other facts about her in case you don't get a cake from her. Then you can take her to small claims court for what she has done. I think you said at the beginning that she worked with your fiance, does she not anymore? If she does still work there then maybe they can help you get ahod of her. I know they can't give you her information if it is not the same as what you have, but maybe they can get ahold of her and tell her that she needs to call you asap. God bless.

kel58 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:44am
post #35 of 67

ok if the wedding is in a week then I wouldn't give her anymore time. Was just trying to give another point of veiw but I knew it was a stretch.
Oh I hope this turns out well for you.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 4:29am
post #36 of 67

I just want to say y'all are making me feel a lot better about what I did before my daughter's wedding 5 years ago. The caterer's phone was shut off. The week of the wedding, I tried for three days to get in touch with her by phone and the fourth day I showed up at her apartment- the only address I had. She thought I was crazy and way too concerned. She made me feel pretty lousy about it. After reading the responses here, I feel a lot less nuts about the whole thing.

OP: good luck!

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:13am
post #37 of 67

cheatize: If someone's phone is cut off and they have a wedding cake to do for you they need to make you aware of their situation. We can all understand situations like that, but some people are just too embarrassed to tell others about their problems and then wonder why the people react the way they do when they can't get ahold of them. Like you. She acted like you were crazy for going to her house. Well if she had made an effort to get ahold of you after her phone got shut off you wouldn't have had to go to her house. It was her own pride and fault. You should not feel guilty for checking on her. It is a wedding cake. It is no small trivial matter if it doesn't get done. Anyone with any brains knows that you have to order stuff like that a long time before with any one that is reputable so to treat someone with that much discourtesy after they have paid you to do their cake is just WRONG,Wrong, wrong!! To me anyone who does wedding cakes for people or who has ever been married themselves ought to know and understand the feelings of the people ordering the cake. You should treat them as if you were doing your own son or daughter's wedding cake. You find out everything, and every detail and then you let them know if there has been any changes in your contact information, if that should happen. You don't leave people hanging like that. Even though it is the biggest day of your life and hopefully the happiest people have a huge amount of stress hanging over them because it is suppose to be perfect. If I had that happen to me I would have done the same thing.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:14am
post #38 of 67

cheatize: If someone's phone is cut off and they have a wedding cake to do for you they need to make you aware of their situation. We can all understand situations like that, but some people are just too embarrassed to tell others about their problems and then wonder why the people react the way they do when they can't get ahold of them. Like you. She acted like you were crazy for going to her house. Well if she had made an effort to get ahold of you after her phone got shut off you wouldn't have had to go to her house. It was her own pride and fault. You should not feel guilty for checking on her. It is a wedding cake. It is no small trivial matter if it doesn't get done. Anyone with any brains knows that you have to order stuff like that a long time before with any one that is reputable so to treat someone with that much discourtesy after they have paid you to do their cake is just WRONG,Wrong, wrong!! To me anyone who does wedding cakes for people or who has ever been married themselves ought to know and understand the feelings of the people ordering the cake. You should treat them as if you were doing your own son or daughter's wedding cake. You find out everything, and every detail and then you let them know if there has been any changes in your contact information, if that should happen. You don't leave people hanging like that. Even though it is the biggest day of your life and hopefully the happiest people have a huge amount of stress hanging over them because it is suppose to be perfect. If I had that happen to me I would have done the same thing.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:15am
post #39 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:16am
post #40 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:17am
post #41 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #42 of 67

cheatize: If someone's phone is cut off and they have a wedding cake to do for you they need to make you aware of their situation. We can all understand situations like that, but some people are just too embarrassed to tell others about their problems and then wonder why the people react the way they do when they can't get ahold of them. Like you. She acted like you were crazy for going to her house. Well if she had made an effort to get ahold of you after her phone got shut off you wouldn't have had to go to her house. It was her own pride and fault. You should not feel guilty for checking on her. It is a wedding cake. It is no small trivial matter if it doesn't get done. Anyone with any brains knows that you have to order stuff like that a long time before with any one that is reputable so to treat someone with that much discourtesy after they have paid you to do their cake is just WRONG,Wrong, wrong!! To me anyone who does wedding cakes for people or who has ever been married themselves ought to know and understand the feelings of the people ordering the cake. You should treat them as if you were doing your own son or daughter's wedding cake. You find out everything, and every detail and then you let them know if there has been any changes in your contact information, if that should happen. You don't leave people hanging like that. Even though it is the biggest day of your life and hopefully the happiest people have a huge amount of stress hanging over them because it is suppose to be perfect. If I had that happen to me I would have done the same thing

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #43 of 67

cheatize: If someone's phone is cut off and they have a wedding cake to do for you they need to make you aware of their situation. We can all understand situations like that, but some people are just too embarrassed to tell others about their problems and then wonder why the people react the way they do when they can't get ahold of them. Like you. She acted like you were crazy for going to her house. Well if she had made an effort to get ahold of you after her phone got shut off you wouldn't have had to go to her house. It was her own pride and fault. You should not feel guilty for checking on her. It is a wedding cake. It is no small trivial matter if it doesn't get done. Anyone with any brains knows that you have to order stuff like that a long time before with any one that is reputable so to treat someone with that much discourtesy after they have paid you to do their cake is just WRONG,Wrong, wrong!! To me anyone who does wedding cakes for people or who has ever been married themselves ought to know and understand the feelings of the people ordering the cake. You should treat them as if you were doing your own son or daughter's wedding cake. You find out everything, and every detail and then you let them know if there has been any changes in your contact information, if that should happen. You don't leave people hanging like that. Even though it is the biggest day of your life and hopefully the happiest people have a huge amount of stress hanging over them because it is suppose to be perfect. If I had that happen to me I would have done the same thing

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:21am
post #44 of 67

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:21am
post #45 of 67

May be because cake already comes set up, there is no set up fee. I charge for delivery/set up because I also decorate the table, but my cakes come assembled. Since its Topsy Turvy design, it could be set up and transported by the baker with no trouble for you... but thats just common sense.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:22am
post #46 of 67

Lelka Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:22am
post #47 of 67

May be because cake already comes set up, there is no set up fee. I charge for delivery/set up because I also decorate the table, but my cakes come assembled. Since its Topsy Turvy design, it could be set up and transported by the baker with no trouble for you... but thats just common sense.

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:22am
post #48 of 67

Lelka Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:23am
post #49 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:24am
post #50 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:25am
post #51 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:26am
post #52 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:27am
post #53 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:28am
post #54 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:29am
post #55 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:30am
post #56 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:31am
post #57 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:32am
post #58 of 67

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 5:33am
post #59 of 67

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #60 of 67

What in the heck is going on with the multiple posts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%