Purse Cake!

Decorating By rozedcj Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 11:59am by rozedcj

rozedcj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozedcj Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!
I am getting ready to attempt my first 3d cake its a cake for a coworkers daughter. for her birthday. I wanted to know if anyone had and step by step insturctions for constructing the cake and decorating ideas? also if anyone has ever made one with just regular buttercream icing instead of fondant? Its last minute her birthday is on monday but i told her i would try and pull somthing together for her since im not really busy this weekend. I plan on starting on the accents today. Thanks for all of you help and advice in advance!

6 replies
katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 7

what kind of purse cake are you making?? I do a lot of 3d design and I hate fondant so most of mine are buttercream with fondant/gumpaste accents. If I do have to use fondant I usually use the MMF recipe from this site it tastes better than store bought, IMO.

rozedcj Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 7

i was thinking of making a chanel bag. they have a lot of detail with the quilting pattern being on the bag itself can you do this with buttercream? and maybe the shoe to match it.

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 7

I'm not a professional but I am pretty sure you can do it, if you having a good crusting buttercream. Good luck can't wait to see pics : )
Kat

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7

HI, there are lots of tutorials on youtube and the sugarteachers blog. They will help you on getting started. hth

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

There is a tutorial here, which is free until 31st October when you register on the site.

http://www.designer-cakes.com/tutorial/handbag/

Use buttercream instead of ganache. Use a crusting buttercream for the outside coating so you can do the quilting effect. And use fondant accents for the ribbing, "flap" of the handbag, buckles and handle.

rozedcj Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 11:59am
post #7 of 7

wow this is great thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%