Can I Ice This Cake Now? Please Reply Quickly Lol

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 1:40am by JanetBme

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 6

I baked a cake, I filled and froze it and was supposed to take it out to defrost before work today to apply the fondant when I got home but forgot. I asked my boyfriend to take it out so now its been out for about 2 hours but is obviously still defrosting. Should I fondant it now and leave it out overnight to dry out anyway? or will it be too wet? Its only plain white fondant. I just wanted to get it on tonight so I can decorate it tomorrow!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

I think you can go ahead and cover it.It may appear wet for a few hours cause it is still thawing but will dry once it comes to room temp.It should be fine!!

jennifercullen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 6

Awesome. I just want to get it covered before I go to bed in about 2 hours lol. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry to be the bad one here ... I'll just tell you what happened to me a couple weekends ago. I covered my cake with fondant (a 14" round) when it wasn't completely thawed. Two hours after I covered it, I huge bubble formed and then blew out then cracked right up the side of the cake (I ended up having to use a dummy for the bottom tier (luckily the bride was okay with that). After that happened I pulled the fondant right off the cake and was shocked to see how wet it was under the fondant. I vowed after that day never to cover a cake with fondant again unless it's at room temperature. Not to say this will happen to you though, I have a feeling that a smaller cake will behave better. If you've already done it, it will probably be okay, don't stress about it. If you haven't, I do suggest waiting. Good luck!

jennifercullen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 6

Oh poop lol. Iv done it now. I hope it holds up. Although to be honest, those bubbles seem to happen to me completely randomly! I got one on my sons birthday cake and it hadn't even been in the fridge! I hope it goes ok cos right now it looks really neat, even my fondant went on really well. Guess its the lower temperatures at the moment it was a nightmare in summer! Ah well we shall see... its only 8 inches, I hope it stays ok!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #6 of 6

I ice and fondant frozen cakes all the time....I prefer it that way. I ice them, toss them back in the freezer to get firm and then fondant them. They are so much easier to get sharp corners and clean edges that way.

I don't think you'll have a problem. Especially since you already have done it. The problems with frozen ones, are that they get wet while they come up to room temp- so as you are working, you have to work faster. Your fondant gets slick for a while. But it will dry just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%