post #1 of 16

My new favorite TV show on TLC's is Cake Boss thumbs_up.gif

I learned so much from them, like what to and NO TO DO LOL

Who else watches it? icon_smile.gif

15 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 16

I used to watch it when it first came out, and when I first began decorating, but I have found I don't watch tv at ALL anymore! LOL! I think it has been a year since I have watched that show!

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 16

I used to watch his show when it was less about the drama and more about the cakes. I`ll still watch occasionally but I feel there are better shows to watch if you want to learn techniques etc.

Kathy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy99 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 16

When I have a bad day and I watch that show and see some of the stuff that happens - mine doesn't look so bad then LOL

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 16

I watch it but it's definitely not my favorite. It's more about a "show" then cake decorating. Buddy has calmed down a lot since the beginning, but now his sisters annoy me. I don't like all that hollering--and I'm Italian too!

That's why I like Fabulous Cakes. I find it more informative and geared more towards the decorator than the cake civilian.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I watch it but it's definitely not my favorite. It's more about a "show" then cake decorating. Buddy has calmed down a lot since the beginning, but now his sisters annoy me. I don't like all that hollering--and I'm Italian too!

That's why I like Fabulous Cakes. I find it more informative and geared more towards the decorator than the cake civilian.

Agree with this! I wish they`d do more episodes of Fabulous Cakes.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcakes

Quote:

Agree with this! I wish they`d do more episodes of Fabulous Cakes.

I also love Fabulous Cakes!

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 16

what channel is fabulous cakes

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 16

I love Fabulous Cakes too....it comes on TLC as well.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:01am
post #10 of 16

I find I can't stand to watch any of the cake drama on T.V. any longer.

I loved them when they started but I've grown to hate the fake drama that's injected for ratings.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:34am
post #11 of 16

I like cake boss, ace of cakes, not sure about Fabulous cakes yet though.

I like cake boss because buddy explains the materials that are used, and he's done a couple of video tutorials on the tlc channel website about making buttercream roses, piping and icing cakes which I found helpful. I'm sure some parts of the show are staged though, do you remember Bridezilla? yeah that looked like acting.......

I like ace of cakes because their cakes are always different and interesting, and they all seem friendly and laid back (not like the cake boss guys! icon_smile.gif ) But theirs one thing I don't like, I don't like it when I see the girl decorators wearing clipped nail polish, while rolling and kneading fondant! icon_confused.gif

I've only seen two episodes of fabulous cakes so far, the first once was the one where they make an "earth day cake" a "bowling cake" and a speed boat cake. The second episode was the one where they make a big crocodile cake, a wedding toadstool cake and a dog cake.
The woman who was making the dog cake was acting soooo unprofessional she was actually annoying me! tapedshut.gif It was obvious from the start that the dogs neck was huge! and when she was holding the dogs head onto the body and telling the other decorators to shove melting chocolate in to keep his head on was terrible!! and then she got the birthday girl to paint the dogs collar, because they didn't have time to do it!!

I watch a uk cake show aswell called "Choccywoccydoodah" anyone seen that? wow its incredible the things they do with chocolate! icon_eek.gif
If you haven't seen it, heres the trailer, everything is 100% chocolate decorations!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamAndButtercream

...I watch a uk cake show aswell called "Choccywoccydoodah" anyone seen that? wow its incredible the things they do with chocolate! icon_eek.gif
If you haven't seen it, heres the trailer, everything is 100% chocolate decorations!

"Choccywoccydoodah" looks like its fun to watch! Even as I repeat the neme in my head I feel happier icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 16

I have noticed that the fondant work on Cake Boss is terrible. They are all about bigger---but their quality, to me, is horrible. He has talented sculptors, and a huge staff. He should be putting out better quality than what he does. In my opinion.

Ace of Cakes was ok...but I got tired of seeing fondant cakes all the time. None of his staff were decorators...all were "artists"..which is fine, but they were not diverse.

Fabulous cakes (normally) always puts out first class, quality cakes.

lilcakebaker Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:32pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

I have noticed that the fondant work on is terrible. They are all about bigger---but their quality, to me, is horrible. He has talented sculptors, and a huge staff. He should be putting out better quality than what he does. In my opinion.

Ace of Cakes was ok...but I got tired of seeing fondant cakes all the time. None of his staff were decorators...all were "artists"..which is fine, but they were not diverse.

I couldn't agree more! I think you hit the nail on the head about all three shows. Though I like Ace of Cakes because they are different and they are artists. I consider my work a piece of art first and cake second. However maybe as I progress in my skills I'll call myself a cake decorator.

lilcakebaker Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

I have noticed that the fondant work on is terrible. They are all about bigger---but their quality, to me, is horrible. He has talented sculptors, and a huge staff. He should be putting out better quality than what he does. In my opinion.

I couldn't agree more! I think you hit the nail on the head about all three shows. Though I like Ace of Cakes because they are different and they are artists. I consider my work a piece of art first and cake second. However maybe as I progress in my skills I'll call myself a cake decorator.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 16

[quote="infinitsky"][quote="JamAndButtercream"]...I watch a uk cake show aswell called "Choccywoccydoodah" anyone seen that? wow its incredible the things they do with chocolate! icon_eek.gif

]

"Choccywoccydoodah" looks like its fun to watch! Even as I repeat the neme in my head I feel happier icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Yeah it is a great show, they're all so eccentric and fun! Are you british? did you watch the series? if your american I think theres a couple on youtube to see! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%