Letter Cutouts. Tappit Vs Clikstix

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 4:31pm by sugarflorist

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:44am
post #1 of 18

i want to get new letters, (cuz i hate the wilton ones, that i have used way too long) can some of you fill me in on the pros and cons of the tappits and clikstix, and which you recommend, also if there are other ones out there that you think are the best, please let me know. thank you

17 replies
gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 18

I don't know about clikstix, but I hate tappitz....I can never get them out lol

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:13am
post #3 of 18

I purchased clikstix awhile ago. I LOVE THEM!!! They are really easy to use
The key to getting them right is to let your fondant dry a little before making the letters.
There is a tutorial on youtube on how to use them. Very simple. thumbs_up.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:30am
post #4 of 18

I am going back to the tappits. I don't like the shape and look of the clixstix.

I love the look of the curly? tappit letters and numbers. I just have to use them with thin gumpaste and banish the clixstix to the bottom of the number/alphabet drawer. I wanted to like them, but I don't. It is just my personal preference.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 3:06am
post #5 of 18

Tappits are very easy when you get the hang of them. Clikstix are super easy. I have both, and use both. I would suggest you go for the font/s you think you'll get the most use out of, rather than choosing based on brand.

alliecakes82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliecakes82 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:19am
post #6 of 18

I have both. Most Clikstix are 3/4 in tall, they are super easy to use and I love them, but do find that sometimes I want something bigger. The funky Tappits are definitely bigger and work really well with more whimsical / kids cakes. I would recommend both.

Coral3 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:44am
post #7 of 18

Another one worth considering: The Jem alphabet set is a really nice font, my favourite actually, and one that is very versatile (a lot of other fonts you can't use on some cakes because the style is all wrong.) If I had to choose one letter set out of all I have I'd pick the Jem set, because it looks right on pretty much any cake. Trickier to use though, you do have to put some time into getting the knack for them.

Here's a cake with Jem lettering: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2099096

...and this one (see pic of the roof in additional photos) http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1881906

rava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rava Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 18

I find Tappits and Clikstix about the same in terms of ease of use, so I agree to focus on a lettering style you like.

Coral3: I have to ask, how on earth do you get the fondant/gp out of the JEM alphabet cutters? I love this lettering, too, but still have trouble getting the gp out. I let it dry for a few minutes, cut, then use a pin to pry it loose (but sometimes it distorts/ruins the shape).

Coral3 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rava

I find Tappits and Clikstix about the same in terms of ease of use, so I agree to focus on a lettering style you like.

Coral3: I have to ask, how on earth do you get the fondant/gp out of the JEM alphabet cutters? I love this lettering, too, but still have trouble getting the gp out. I let it dry for a few minutes, cut, then use a pin to pry it loose (but sometimes it distorts/ruins the shape).

The trick with the Jem ones is to avoid the letter sticking in the cutter to begin with, they are impossible to pry out without ruining them otherwise.

Roll out the fondant/gumpaste really thin, like you would for tappits, making sure the fondant sticks to your work surface. Let it sit for 5-10minutes. Dust the top surface with powdered sugar/cornstarch. Cut out the letters, wriggling the cutter just enough to get a clean cut, but not so much that the fondant separates from your work surface. Leave the letter where it is. Cut all the letters, then remove all the excess fondant from around them. You can then either carefully lift the letters with a knife/spatula to dry/use...or what I often do (when I've rolled & cut them on parchment paper) is leave them where they are, then carefully peel them off the parchment when they have had a day or two to dry thoroughly.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 18

I have both and and use them both frequently. I don't do much letter piping anymore thumbs_up.gif

The4manxies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The4manxies Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 18

I have both and will ALWAYS use the clikstix where possible as they are soooo much quicker and less frustrating to use. However, the letters are quite big and chunky and the style doesn't always suit each cake. The one annoying problem with the clikstix is the ejector. I found some letters were left with a deep inprint and others weren't (due to the design) and to me that is unacceptable - all the letters should look the same. You can very clearly see what I'm talking about on my gardening / westie cake - http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2237370/gardening-westie-dog-cake. I found it so frustrating that I removed the ejector from the first set of cutters starting with 'a'. The letters still come out of the clickstix very easily with a slight tap and they're still much simpler than tappits (I've a tutorial on YouTube on how to use tappits, just search 'the4manxies'. If I could get hold of clikstix in a smaller, less chunky font I wouldn't hesitate. Hope this helps, Debs
icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:19pm
post #12 of 18

Love my clikstix , I have the blossom , butterflies and daisies as well as some of the others too , and I use them all

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 18

I have both tappits and clikstix and love them both. As stated previously they both have different fonts so choose the lettering style you want. They both take a little practice to get them just right. I have found the fondant/gumpste needs to be alot thinner when using clikstix or you will get the "dents" from the ejector on the fronts of the letters and with the "funky" style tappits it needs to be a little thicker or the small lines that form the curls on the letters don't show up. I have found that for both types it is best to let the fondant/gumpaste dry out a little so they release easier. They are both great...It's just like everything else...practice, practice, practice!!

teriwiley5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teriwiley5 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 4:56am
post #14 of 18

AThere is a new block clikstix font now available that is slightly bigger than the tappits. Straight to the wish list!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 9:28am
post #15 of 18

Love your little terracotta pots and "dirt".

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 9:29am
post #16 of 18

Oops meant to quote The4manxies Garden Cake.

cheekypinksmurf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekypinksmurf Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 18

I have just mastered tappits, gosh I love them now. Despite the fact my bf thinks I am some kind of kitchen dominatrix with the sounds I made lol!

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 18

AI bought some and hate them. I managed to do it at the demo but when I got home I failed. So do you have any tips for those of us who seem to be using then to decorate their tool kit

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%