Can Melted Chocolate Be Added To Already Made Buttercream?

Baking By Connie1027 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 9:33pm by Apti

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have some leftover buttercream from a few days ago. I need a small amount of chocolate frosting. Can I melt a square or two of baker's chocolate and add it to the already made buttercream? I realize I may have to add additional powdered sugar.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. I had no luck using the Search function.

Thanks!

4 replies
lynn0621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn0621 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 5

I add melted chocolate to my SMBC all the time. I just melt it in the microwave. Let it cool but not harden and mix it into my SMBC.

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

I add melted white choco all the time without cooling. I like that when I stick the cake in the cooler it becomes stiff and easier to smooth out.

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 5

I do it all the time too, without cooling. I just stream it in slowly whilst mixing, so it doesn't melt the butter.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 5

Yes. You can also add cocoa powder or chocolate syrup etc. Just watch your consistency. I slopped together a whole bunch of colored, left over buttercream, some milk, some cocoa powder, some melted Baker's Squares, some left over ice cream fudge topping and it made fabulous chocolate buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%