Late Fees?

Business By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 1:34am by jules5000

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone charge late fees on clients installments? I always take a down payment, and then sometimes, depending on the cost of the cake, I'll allow an installment between the down pmt and the final payment.

Do you guys charge late fees? And if so, how much are they and do you allow a grace period?

Thanks!

6 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 7

No, I don't charge late fees.

It's 50% deposit on all orders $200 and up, orders under this amt are paid in full at time of booking. Balance is due 30 days before event.

I don't have a grace period either. I guess I'm lucky...all of my clients pay on time, most pay before the 30 day cutoff.

I have a $100 minimum order...I think when you're dealing with clients that can afford to spend $100 on a 9" cake you don't get the sort of people you need to chase around for payment.

There's something to be said for marketing to the higher end clientele.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

I charge late fees on wedding cakes. If the final payment is not submitted 30 days before the event, they get charged $25 per day it is late (and I send reminders 1-2 weeks before the final payment is due). I have easily charged $150 in late fees in the past year....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 7

Nope.

Either pay for your cake on time or you don't get a cake. End of story.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

What do you all do if a customer doesn't pay the balance and you have started some work on the cake? Or you just don't start any of it until you have the whole thing?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

What do you all do if a customer doesn't pay the balance and you have started some work on the cake? Or you just don't start any of it until you have the whole thing?

This is the main reason that I have final payment due 30 days before the event...it gives me plenty of time to make gp flowers or other elements that need time to dry once I have payment in full in my hands.

My 50% deposit covers any special order items that I may need for the project.

If they don't pay the balance the order is canceled, no money is refunded and I don't lose anything if I had to buy a special pan or mold because I've paid for it with money from the deposit.

This is why I don't understand people who have final payment due 2 weeks before the event. In my opinion and in my experience it's not enough time.

Most if not all of the posts we read on here about decorators not receiving the final payment in time seem to have the final payment due 2 weeks before...then they're panicking because they don't have their money and time is running out.

I choose to give myself some breathing room...I don't enjoy being stressed and I do everything I can to make sure I'm not.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 7

kind of figured that was it, cakestyles. Thanks for breaking it down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%