Family And Discounts

Decorating By acarolann Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm by TexasSugar

acarolann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acarolann Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 6

I'm just wondering how others feel about giving discounts to family members? Do you think that they should respect that you are trying to run a business and that they should pay you what you are worth? OR do they deserve some kind of deal because they are family? Just wondering...would love to hear what CCers think about this.

5 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 6

I think you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Here's what I do.

I've made all of my nieces and nephews wedding cakes...this is my wedding gift to them.

If I make their birthday cake it's their birthday present.

That's the extent of it.

If they order a cake from me for a party or event that they're having they pay my regular price.

In my family a few of my siblings own businesses and we came to an agreement a long time ago that none of us should feel obligated to extend any sort of discount to each other.

So far it works for us.

khadijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khadijah Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:53am
post #3 of 6

My cakes are free for family.

It allows me to make whatever I like and try out new techniques without the stress of how it might turn out since I'm not being paid for it anyway. Turns out some of my best cakes were made for family members. Stress-free cake making has great results!

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

I wouldn't charge my parents or brother for any cakes. I give a good discount to the members of my motorbike club, and that's about it. Everyone else gets a price quote and it's up to them if they want to go ahead.

I had a biker ask me last week to do cupcakes for an event and she said she wanted a discount. I just replied that these are my prices and you can let me know.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 6

Birthday cakes free - as a gift from me, other cakes 10 % discount. (The nearest parent lives 500 km from here so I don't make a lot of cakes for them icon_sad.gif )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 6

My general rule of thumb is... You ask, you pay. I offer, it's free.

If I make a treat or cake for family for their birthdays, it's free. My nephew's cakes and my best friend's kid's birthday cakes will always be free, but I get the most say on the design.

If a family member asks me to make a cake for what ever event they are attending, that I'm not invited to, they pay, full price. Or if they want me to make something for something that they would have gone out and bought somewhere else, they pay, full price. icon_smile.gif

Of course 98% of the cakes I have made have been for family and friends, so if I gave the discounts, I'd be paying them to let me make cakes for them. I'm past that stage in this game. I have a full time and part time job, so if I am going to use my free time to spend hours making someone else a cake, I feel I should be paid for it.

My family are great though, they never ask me for discounts or free cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%