Average Monthly Expenses

Business By Tacy09 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 4:40am by scp1127

Tacy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tacy09 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

So I know things will vary depending on the state you live in, and I know its kind of a personal question, but I was wondering for people in the midwest (specifically Iowa) what are your average monthly expenses? Im trying to figure things out for my business plan, so I can open a bakery, and to be honest im kind of stumped. Also what kind of insurance should I have and whom should I go through to get it? If nobody feels comfortable answering thats fine, but just thought I would put itout there....for those who do answer thanks sooo much! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

Rent and labor will probably be your biggest expenses...rent can be anywhere from $500/month (if you rent a kitchen with no storefront for a few hours every week) to $3000/month or more for a retail bakery in a prime location. For labor you need to look at your own wage plus payroll for other employees who mind the shop. Payroll and overhead in general will be much lower if you skip the retail storefront.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #3 of 5

You will have to also wait to plug in heat and air expenses based on the space you choose. It could be efficient or drafty. You may get some help with the amount of the electric bill from the power company, but that will still have many factors.

State Farm Has a specific policy for bakeries. It runs $275 to about $350 yearly. You can add property protection to that. I have $25,000 property protection for an extra $25. But you will need to cover the building and your buildout too. Ours is covered in our homeowners. If you deliver, you will need commercial auto insurance. If you have employees or interns, you will need workers comp. That gets pricey.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:28am
post #4 of 5

Also if you need to take out a loan, the interest payments can be pretty steep. Depending on the area and how much work needs to be done, a full buildout of a retail bakery can run $50K-$100K or more.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

I didn't even mention the loan because if you don't have collateral, this will be difficult, and impossible with no business ownership experience. You may want to check this out first if you will need to borrow the funds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%