Starting A Cupcake Business

Baking By cake n bake Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 9:32am by noobiebaker

cake n bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake n bake Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 5

What does it take to start a cupcake business? i know you will need a license and have to work in a commerical kitchen. I've been going to school for a long time and study something that i really don't like. my hobby is baking being doing for awhile now. i really don't sell my cupcakes i just give them away to kids for bake sales. Can anyone give some feedback i where to begin

4 replies
noobiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noobiebaker Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

Hello cupcakecrazy2011! I'm also wanting to start a cupcake business too. Looking forward to responses from fellow cupcake lovers.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 5

Hi new members. You don't know me, but I'm the one that on CC that paints the true picture. There is a lot of fun to baking cupcakes, but the hard stuff starts first.

Be sure to have a decent understanding of accounting, all taxes, and bookkeeping. Night classes in these subjects and a course in Quicken will get you started.

Next, a business plan. And if you have to ask what one is, please take some time to get some business experience before you take the plunge. Go online and you will find business plan models. Don't skip steps and be accurate in your numbers.

Decide how you will set up your model and how you will market.

In this economy, branding is important. It is how the public sees you. Research this. Make a clear plan and keep your branding consistent.

No baking yet.

Will you have employees. Go to your local labor board and gather information. Make sure you know employee law and are properly insured.

Last, taste and keep a record of all of your competitor's products. Honestly compare your products to theirs and find out where you fall in the market HONESTLY!!! If you are charging more, but others have a better product, you need to either up your quality or lower your price. Plug in these honest numbers into your business plan. If the numbers don't work, you will be one of the 85% of small businesses that fail in the first year.

Hope this helps.

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5

I'm of you on wanting to starting a cupcake business. I was helping someone strt a business and was in the middle of writing a business plan, when they bailed out. Plus I've taken a business class that was specific to the food industry. I've not actually ran a business yet myself, but have a bit of knowledge, as well as I'm continuing gaing business through school. And there are always small organizations and people thaty would help in seting up the framework of a business.

noobiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noobiebaker Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:32am
post #5 of 5

thank you so much for your advice scp1127. will definitely take note of everything, and will do my research well before i start baking. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%