Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By B7jac Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 11:18pm by BlakesCakes

B7jac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B7jac Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there, can anybody help me with advice on Modelling Chocolate? I love the idea of it but everything out there seems to be from the US which uses corn syrup!!! and their chocolate is different apparently. However I did find a uk recipe and seem to have made it ok, its just that once i start to play around with it, it becomes very soft and dosent hold its shape like even fondant does!! i have tried putting it back in the fridge and starting over but it changes in minutes!! does anyone have any ideas or has anyone used it?? thanks

8 replies
vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 9

I have been reading about people using Tootsie Rolls and Star-burst candies (and any other candy of the same texture). Put in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up so they can form it. HTH

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7jac

Hi there, can anybody help me with advice on Modelling Chocolate? I love the idea of it but everything out there seems to be from the US which uses corn syrup!!! and their chocolate is different apparently. However I did find a uk recipe and seem to have made it ok, its just that once i start to play around with it, it becomes very soft and dosent hold its shape like even fondant does!! i have tried putting it back in the fridge and starting over but it changes in minutes!! does anyone have any ideas or has anyone used it?? thanks

I think golden syrup is a uk equivalent to corn syrup?
I don't think it's supposed to hold it's shape the same way as fondant, mine has always been softer. If I need it for anything more detailed than say, roses, I mix it 50/50 w/mmf and it holds up better.

M_Mischief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M_Mischief Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 9

The UK equivalent would be liquid glucose or golden syrup. I prefer using golden syrup and mix it 50/50 with melted chocolate to make choclate plastique for making flowers etc.

It is soft when mixed in these quantities so if you feel you need a stiffer paste try mixing less glucose/syrup with the chocolate ie 25/75 or 33/66.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

I was intrigued when I came across this blog post.

http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2011/05/how-to-create-school-books-using-corn.html

She uses honey instead of corn syrup!

B7jac Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 9

I don't think it's supposed to hold it's shape the same way as fondant, mine has always been softer. If I need it for anything more detailed than say, roses, I mix it 50/50 w/mmf and it holds up better.

Thanks, I didnt realise you could mix it with mmf! will try that, also will try using less golden syrup next time.

I like the idea of using starburt softened in the microwave too.

B7jac Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, I didnt realise you could mix it with mmf! will try that, also will try using less golden syrup next time.

I like the idea of using starburt softened in the microwave too.

Jojoscakes1000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jojoscakes1000 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

I've tried golden syrup and it definitely does not work its just really sticky and toffee-like... lets just say I used a whole box of icing sugar just to be able to touch it without sticking, I like the honey idea though ...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 9

I can see where the honey would work. It probably has a similar water content to a good corn syrup. I'm not sure that I'd want to add that flavor to my chocolate, though. The corn syrup is more neutral in flavor.

That said, I think light treacle would be closer to corn syrup than golden syrup and I think the best substitute would be straight glucose.

Wilton sells glucose (and their products are sold worldwide) and I know that glucose is available in the UK at Tesco in the baking section and at most chemists.

I used to make my modeling chocolate with corn syrup, but I've converted to glucose because I get much less crystallization, so it's less grainy. I use the same amount in my recipe as I would with corn syrup.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%