Crusting Buttercream Seems "old"?

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 2:28pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 3

I had a friend tell me that the frosting on the cupcake she ate tasted old. I asked her to elaborate and she indicated that it was kinda crusty on the outside and that made it seem old to her. I had used a crusting buttercream - that's why it did that and I know it *wasn't* old because I had made it that morning. I guess my biggest concern from this is that I don't want customers thinking their cupcakes sat around for a couple of days. I've never thought of this, honestly, but I can see how one would come to this conclusion if not "in the know" about crusting buttercream. I am grateful that someone brought it to my attention!

Thoughts??

2 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 3

I can definitely understand your friend's comment because I feel the same way about crusting bc's.

I know they're not old, but that's the feeling I get whenever I've eaten any of them.

Do you offer a non crusting option? Maybe SMBC/IMBC or any of the other non-crusting bc's out there.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 3

I don't really like it myself - too sweet! But yes, I offer other options. This particular friend had eaten my cupcakes at another friends wedding - so the bride had chosen the buttercream because she liked it. And so I guess there's nothing I can really do about it...but I'm just wondering of all the other people at the wedding, were there others who thought the cupcakes were old? That's not a great way to get new business!! HAHA!! Althought there were 4 flavors there and only one of the flavors had crusting BC so it's probably way less of a big deal than I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%