Help With Character Cake

Decorating By SweetcakesCT Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 5:41am by SweetcakesCT

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:28am
post #1 of 7

I know this is probably a foolish question, but I'm completely stuck. My baking centers around cupcakes and decorated cookies, but I saw this cute scarecrow pan, you know the kind you cover in stars, and wanted to try it.
Well, the directions said to cover the entire cake in blue BC first, then go on to outlining, etc. Once I put the blue BC on, I could no longer see the imprinted details to outline on. I've tried putting the pan back on the cake, hoping I could imprint the definition in the BC. Didn't work.
I'm hoping that one of you awesome bakers out there will have a suggestion. TIA.

6 replies
Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #2 of 7

I havent really used those pans though I have a few. I would suggest to make an outline using a small round tip of whatever color its supposed to be then do the blue star tip then do the other color on top of your outline mark. That is what i would do.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:36am
post #3 of 7

I used to do a lot of these. After your cake is baked and cooled, outline every part of the cake that is indented. Then you start to fill in with the starts and the appropriate colors. After you are all done filling in with stars, outline again to define the areas. Also, I always outlined with black frosting. It was sort of line coloring from a coloring book, where all the pictures are outlined in black. Hope that helps!

SweetcakesCT Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you Yeni and Dora for answering. I know about outlining and filling with stars, but now I can't see the areas to outline, lol. I suppose it's time to stop reading directions.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 7

It may sound a little crazy, but could you do a FBCT? Cut wax paper to shape and lay inside the pan, make your outlines, and then pipe on top of that? That way when it's frozen and you flip over it should be the correct direction and you can just lay it on top of your cake and star around the edges? Just a thought if you didn't want to scrap what you had already done.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 7

The directions will tell you were to frost what areas and where to outline and in what order. icon_smile.gif I've done quite a few and you can't frost the whole cake and then outline. It is impossible because you can't see where to do it. The instructions are always well written. icon_smile.gif
Susie

SweetcakesCT Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 7

Sammie B, what a great idea!! I think I'll try that with my next attempt at this! As it turns out, I baked another cake in the pan, and re-read the directions. It seems I mis-read what it said about frosting the cake with the background color. I knew there was a reason I decided a long time ago to stick with cupcakes and cookies! lol............I appreciate everyone's answers and help!! CC rocks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%