Football!!!

Decorating By jlcalvert Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm by cvbuzz

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 10

I am planning on making a small 4-5" football out of fondant for a cake topper. I was thinking of making the whole thing fondant (this will be a keepsake) but I was thinking....that's a lot of fondant.

So my questions are:
What would you recommend?
How do you get the football texture on the football?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!!!

9 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 10

I am doing one as well next week, but it will not be a keep sake, i am doing krispie treats covered in fondant. as for the texture, try a clean piece of window screen or maybe a paper towel.

Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 10

I am doing one as well next week, but it will not be a keep sake, i am doing krispie treats covered in fondant. as for the texture, try a clean piece of window screen or maybe a paper towel.

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinacakes

Thanks Tinacakes! Are you using a mold to make the shape or are you just doing it freehand?

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 10

I'm going to try one for a birthday in Oct. I thought about deflating/unstitching a football and using that to texture. Haven't tried it yet though.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 10

I made one out of RCT using the mini egg as a mold. Made 2 halves and put together. Worked great!

mzunique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzunique Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:15am
post #7 of 10

Hi, I just made my first football this past week and am very pleased with it. I put together some rkt's, and carved a bit off of the ends to make it a bit more pointy, then moulded it freehand to the desired shape. I then iced it very lightly and covered in chocolate fondant. I didn't make the texture which I wish I could have, and next time I will try using an actual football deflated. But overall it was good for my first time. I hope this helps, and good luck!

[img][/img]

mzunique Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:16am
post #8 of 10

Hi, I just made my first football this past week and am very pleased with it. I put together some rkt's, and carved a bit off of the ends to make it a bit more pointy, then moulded it freehand to the desired shape. I then iced it very lightly and covered in chocolate fondant. I didn't make the texture which I wish I could have, and next time I will try using an actual football deflated. But overall it was good for my first time. I hope this helps, and good luck!

[img][/img]

mzunique Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

I've tried to post a pic of mine but I can't figure out how! If you're interested take a look at my picks, you can't miss it icon_smile.gif

cvbuzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvbuzz Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 10

I made 1/2 of a football on top of a sheet cake that was actually made out of cake, but I flattened a layer of rice krispies treats to cover the football, then I buttercreamed that and covered in fondant. That seemed to give it the texture I needed but it was still a bit smooth. I think rice krispies is the way to go. Then I airbrush it and after it was mostly dry, I blotted it a tiny bit with dry paper towel.
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2151095

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%