Gumpaste Figure Faces - Help!

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm by 1cakeup

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 5

I've been making some figures and have to say that I still need a lot of practice!!!

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good free online videos that may help or can offer any advice?

The issues i'm having:
1. I find that in holding the head to make the details i inevitably distort and then can't fix it without ruining the details I spent a lot of time doing.
2. the eyes always turn out round but I'd like them to have slight points a the ends.
3. the fondant takes FOR EVER to dry ( i use fondant mixed with a little tylose). surface dries but inside is soft for more then a week.
4. the fondant is either very sticky or dries (on the surface) so it starts to crack as I'm working it or sticks to my fingers. it's either one extreme or the other!!
5. i make the body and head separately - usually on different days because it takes me so long to do each and then when i try to add one to the other not sure how to make it work - either the neck is too long, short, wide, skinny etc.... proportions are weird...

I've heard and seen figures/faces made of modeling chocolate but never tried using it - is it easier or harder to work with?

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
ghana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghana Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 9:36am
post #2 of 5

I am actually in the same boat as it will be my first time making people. I am going to buy the cheaper plastic people mold then make the clothes myself. i think for the fondant to dry wuicker you need to add more tylose...I think. i dont have a week or more for mine to dry so I may be in a lot of trouble. there are tips on how to make gumpaste dry quicker if you google it.

donnalane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalane Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 5

I have a youtube video showing how to do some of these things...the video is of making a sitting boy, hopefully it will give you some of the basic techniques needed to get you started on your way....Hope this helps you and I wish you the best!!

-- this one shows how to do a little sitting boy

Donna

ps...if you want to see additional info on dealing with gumpaste/fondant and such you can check out my blog where I share lots of info on doing my figurines and such.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 5

i actually tend to make quite a few figures, each time i seem to improve on them. if you are making the head first, i would suggest modeling chocolate because you can blend more in seamlessly. put the head on a toothpick and stick in some foam to work on. i always test the head/neck on the body of the figure to see if i need to adjust the length.
also-there are some great body molds on the market, that might help get you started. but definetly give the modeling chocolate a try! hth

1cakeup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cakeup Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 5

I made a princess figure a few weeks ago and had a tough time with the head and face, so I finally resorted to making a "mold" by pressing gumpaste/fixadent mixture onto an actual doll face ( used a small disney doll) and let the mold dry pretty good. Then I dusted PS onto the mold and used gum paste for the facial impression. I included the neck and part of the chest when making my mold. I used a fine paint brush and color paste to paint the lips, eyes, makeup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%