How, What Kind, And When To Add Chocolate To Smb

Baking By MollyHammond Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 3:09am by MyDiwa

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make chocolate swiss meringue buttercream. How do I add the chocolate, when do I add it and what kind do I use. can I use cocoa?
Thanks,
Molly

4 replies
instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 5

The amount will depend on the size of your SMBC recipe, and I use melted chocolate.

I have never used cocoa powder or seen a recipe where it is mentioned.

This is a great recipe and gives you good variations at the end on amounts to add in...keep in mind the recipe is for a "triple batch" of appx 15 cups. I have made this recipe, separated it into 3rds and made 1/3 of it chocolate, left 1/3 of it as-is and added vanilla bean paste to the last 1/3 to make a "French Vanilla". Using melted semi-sweet chocolate makes it taste like milk chocolate ice cream. Absolutely amazing!

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 5

I make imbc and add cocoa powder to mine after it is finished. I just mix it a little more once added. I have never measured how much I use. Just add more to taste. Its delish!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

Use good chocolate. Melt it and let it come to room temp... still able to pour, but won't melt the butter. Use as much as you want. I even have one recipe that uses a hint of chocolate.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #5 of 5

I melt bittersweet chocolate and fold it into the SMBC. That way I get more chocolate flavor with less chocolate and the sweetness isn't affected. The amount really depends on the size of your batch and your taste. With the Very Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe on here, I think I use about 8 oz.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%