Can You Put Sprinkles/sugar On When Freezing Cookies

Baking By sewsugarqueen Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm by DebinD

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

Read on this forum that some people actually decorate cookies with royal icing( after cookie baked) .. freeze it and it turns out fine when you defrost.
But can you have sugar or sprinkles on it when you freeze it or do you have to wait until you defrost them. I am thinking with the condensation would cause sugar to melt or sprinkles to bleed. Anyone ever been able to do this? Or do I need to add sugar/sprinkles after they defrost? Appreciate any input.

8 replies
pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure about them melting in RI for sure, perhaps they would not if left open for the condensation to evaporate. I know it does not affect buttercream icing, they don't melt or fade color. Not the best answer but all I can say is try it to see what happens, not sure if trying to put them on after they freeze cause I don't think it will still.
evelyn / aka cakegrandma

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 9

I'm not sure about them melting in RI for sure, perhaps they would not if left open for the condensation to evaporate. I know it does not affect buttercream icing, they don't melt or fade color. Not the best answer but all I can say is try it to see what happens, not sure if trying to put them on after they freeze cause I don't think it will still.
evelyn / aka cakegrandma

Bootycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bootycat Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 6:13am
post #4 of 9

I add sanding surgar ect, whike the flood icing is wet. I never freeze cookies, once they are iced with royal icing.

I do bake cookies and freeze. Then, I will put royal icing on them, once taken out of the freezer.

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 9

I've done it with success. While the RI was still wet I put the sanding sugar on. Let dry and then packaged them in individual cello bags. Heat sealed them and put them in gallon size ziplock bags. Had them frozen like that for about a week. When I defrosted them I left them in the ziplock bag. HTH!

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

AI have a recipe that is basically a sugar cookie rolled in sprinkles and baked. It is a fun cookie. Any thoughts on how that would freeze?

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 12:00am
post #7 of 9

I have frozen rolls of cookie dough with sprinkles on side --raw dough- taken out sliced when semi frozen and baked.  They were fine

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

AI just have success whit undecorated cookies, keep us posted

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 9

AI am undecided between freezing them raw or freezing them cooked. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%