Wilton Color Mist On Fondant

Decorating By elizaBakes Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 6:22pm by JessicaN

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Would this be a bad idea? Instead of using a load of black coloring on fondant, do you pro's (or newbies) think it would be a bad idea to simply use a can of color mist in black? Has anyone used this on fondant? I've only tried it on BC cupcakes..

4 replies
erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:37am
post #2 of 5

I tried black color mist on fondant and only was able to achieve an ugly gray color. If you want true black fondant I would recommend buying it already colored.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 5

You could do a test run - you might have to spray it several times to get black (let it dry in between coats). I used the red and it worked pretty good on a lobster I made, but black is tricky - you don't want gray icon_wink.gif

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #4 of 5

Thank you, that is exactly what I was wanting to avoid...getting the grey effect and not a true black. It might just end up being more costly if I have to purchase can after can of this spray. I was reading another post and someone mentioned using the candy melts method, using black melts in MMF. Thank you erin12345 & msulli10

JessicaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaN Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 5

I used red on my fire hydrant cake and it was kind of watery so i had to dab and let dry and then reapply. But you could only notice the water drop marks very close up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%