Sugar Sheets Vs Frosting Sheets

Decorating By moochified Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 1:52pm by moochified

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 6:36am
post #1 of 12

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I never seem to have any luck when I enter criteria in the Search section :-/

Can anyone who has worked with both sugar sheets (like the ones from Wilton) and frosting sheets tell me the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks
- Mooch

11 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 12

Different name, same products. Sugar Sheets, frosting sheets, icing sheets all have the same basic ingredient...sugar! The other types of paper are rice and potato. Those have rice and potato bases. The sugar based papers are the best to use in edible printing as they taste good and melt in to the cake. Rice and potato do not melt in to the cake and do not taste good.

moochified Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks! So they are exactly the same? Or does one handle better than the other on particular surfaces (fondant, buttercream, royal icing, etc)?

icingimages Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 12

There are several brands out there. You will find that different people prefer different brands. A lot depends on their location and weather more than anything else. I can tell you a bit about different brands. Wilton makes a sugar sheet that is for punching, not printing. Lucks brand is the same as what you see on the edible images in the store. It is a great brand that peals well and has a printing surface of about 7.5x10". Kopykake, Icing Images house brand and Photofrost is thinner than other brands. Their printable area is about 7.5x10. Depending on the environment, you may have difficulty pealing them from their backing and they often crack or fall off the backing. I have customers who swear by it and love it, but that is precisely why at Icing Images, we sell three different brands. Our house brand as I said is the thinnest and least popular. The Lucks brand was described above already. But our Premium brand is by far our leading seller. It is a bit thicker, but not too thick. It is known for its flexibility and longevity as well as having the larger printable area of 8.5x10.75". IT is also available in a full range of colors for electronic cutters. But again, a lot depends on preference. If you are purchasing one brand and are having difficulties, there are other options available.

moochified Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain. I really really appreciate it!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

icingimages Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 12

My pleasure! Always glad to help!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 12

I've used several brands in my printer and my preference is the premium sheets from icingimages. The other brands either come off the backing and slide around or won't release from the backing at all and tear or crack. I never have that problem with the premium sheets. I also use their sheets with my electronic cutter and prefer them to gumpaster or fondant.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 12

I've used several brands in my printer and my preference is the premium sheets from icingimages. The other brands either come off the backing and slide around or won't release from the backing at all and tear or crack. I never have that problem with the premium sheets. I also use their sheets with my electronic cutter and prefer them to gumpaster or fondant.

moochified Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks, Tiggy!

Can I use the premium sheets with my kopykake compatible cannon printer and kopykake inks?

tiggy2 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 12

I have a canon printer and they work great. Kopykake isn't my preferred barand of ink but I don't know why you can't use it. Gold label inks from icingimages are more vivid and I've been very happy with them since switching from kopykake inks. Their customer service is also above and beyond. No, I don't work for icingimages, I'm just a very happy and satisfied customer.

moochified Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:49pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much!

moochified Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%