Omg! Help Me Please... Three Tiers On Top Of A Fake Tier?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 10:55pm by lilmissbakesalot

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:28am
post #1 of 13

Hello! I've had a day from hell! My bottom tier, 14" got a large blow out, so I took off the fondant to start over and noticed that my dams had kind of popped out (trimmed the cake too much I think) and that my cake was 'wet inside'. So the whole thing kind of fell apart. Why was my cake so wet inside? icon_cry.gif This is the first time that's happened to me. Anyway, my real question is... can I use a fake tier for the bottom tier? Please please say yes, this is my only option now. I've okayed it with the bride (to supply a slab to be cut in the kitchen). Will my 14" styrofoam tier hold three tiers of real cake? I totally want to die, I have so much work left to do... this is too stressful. This will definately be my LAST wedding cake! I've only ever done three (no problems with the first two), and I think three's is enough!

12 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 13

I actually wonder if I was working with the cake still a bit frozen. I've never done a 14" tier before, and maybe the condensation caused a huge problem... along with also trimming away most of the dam by accident. Anyone know about the fake on the bottom? Is it okay?

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:45am
post #3 of 13

A styro bottom tier will work fine and actually be more stable, weight wise. Just be careful moving the cake as it will be slightly top heavy.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #4 of 13

I agree with cakedoff: I would think that the bottom tier would be more stable and I also think that if you treat the bottom layer like any other stacked cake, you should be fine. Bless your heart!! I feel for you and I know that stress level is high. At least you have the Bride's ok and an extra sheetcake to do, but the rest will hopefully go better for you now.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:26am
post #5 of 13

I love you guys.. so supportive and excellent advice. Thanks so much! So I'll be getting up tomorrow at 6:30 am to finish.. say a prayer for me!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:49am
post #6 of 13

Deep breaths! You do lovely work and this will turn out fine. I do agree in regard to being careful with transport. It will be top heavy for sure.
Good luck!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:42am
post #7 of 13

Yes it will work. If you look close you will see that a fondant covered cake dummy is supporting my three tier cake. It worked like a charm. She originally wanted the three cakes to sit on top of the six smaller cakes and I told her that there was no way I would try to transport something like that so we went with the cake dummy. I just dropped off the cakes and took a quick picture. Don't know how they arranged them after I left. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2058394

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 8:09am
post #8 of 13

I hope everything works out for you.

I only have issues like that in the summer when I freeze or fridge a cake and then use a crusting American buttercream on top. I really think it has something to do with the condensation.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 13

Okay, it's done. I still have to deliver it in a couple hours though. I put a picture up in my photos if you'd like to look at it. It's the four tier one with gold roses. Honestly I don't think I'm going to do anymore wedding cakes after this one, unless it can be a fake cake... it's just too stressful!

jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 13

Sugar fairy: Your cake with the gold roses, I tired to go look it up and I guess I don't understand how this search thing works because I put in cakes by The_Sugar_Fairy and it pops up cakes but does not have your cakes there. Is there something else I need to put in? I also thought that it might show up in recent pictures, but I couldn't find it. WOuld love to see it. Thanks.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 13

Right under where someone posts there are buttons. Profile, PM, Photos, and so on... and if you click on the photos button it will bring you straight the their gallery here on CC.

Also, if you view someone's profile you will have a clickable link to their gallery as well.

icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you littlemissbakesalot: I have been on here for probably close to 2 years and still have so much to learn.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:55pm
post #13 of 13

No worries at all. Happy to help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%