Scam Or No?

Business By SweetSuzieQ Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm by SweetSuzieQ

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 26

I'm having a hard time deciding if this e-mail is a scam or not! Could be legit but, a tasting of every single one of my flavors! LOL

I typically sell cupcakes by the dozen and mini's by the 2 dozen since I do not have a storefront but, am thinking of responding that I would be willing to do 6 of each standard or 12 of each minis.

The e-mail:

I have a request.. I would love to try one cupcake of each of your flavours.. All the original flavors and the limited selections as well.. I am doing cupcakes for an upcoming wedding and am looking to sample the best.. I am a big fan of a local cupcake shop Durham region but have to say your flavours seem to die for.. Can you let me know if this is not too much work, the price and how soon you can have this box ready? Thanks

25 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 26

I doubt it is a scam. It is just someone that thinks maybe a baker can just whip up one of each flavor with no problem at all.

I'd decide what you are willing to offer her, and reply back with that. It's a good thing that she is offering to pay for it and that she could see if it'd be a lot of work, so at least she has some sense.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 26

Reads legit to me.

If putting together an order of one of every flavor is financially & logistically reasonable (it wouldn't be for me), then I'd do it. Just be sure that you charge enough for all of the time & effort.

Rae

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 26

Sounds legit, but I think it would be very overwhelming for any customer to try ALL of your flavors in one sitting! I would imagine after the 3rd or 4th cupcake, they would begin tasting the same....She is willing to pay and that if fine, maybe suggest to her to try just 3 per week?? I wouldn't do more than that...that way, she can sample each one alone on a different day. I know that doing an order that large for one person would be okay so long as you are well compensated, I just do not think it would be a good idea...

SweetSuzieQ Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 26

Yeah, the part that read "odd" to me was 'local cupcake shop Durham region' because those are keywords in my add but, maybe just a typo and she is a fan of a shop IN durham region. I think I'll respond that I'd be willing to do 6 of each which will leave me with 6 of each I can wrap and freeze for further tastings and, if she books I'll give her a $50 credit off of her wedding order.

Thanks ladies!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 26

I don't think it's a scam, but an EXTREMELY ENTITLED bride. Beware. If she's this big a PITA now, it will only get worse. "But it's MY DAY!"

Start by charging a PITA surcharge for one-of-a-flavor samples.

I probably wouldn't do it, but I don't suffer fools easily. You're probably nicer than me. In fact if she'd called, I seriously would have laughed and said, "No really, what would you like to order? I have a dozen minimum per flavor."

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

...and, if she books I'll give her a $50 credit off of her wedding order.

What did she do to earn a $50 credit?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

...and, if she books I'll give her a $50 credit off of her wedding order.

What did she do to earn a $50 credit?

6 of each of how many flavors? That's a lot of cupcakes, and I agree that there shouldn't be a credit for anything.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:03am
post #9 of 26

If you're doing all of the PITA work, you should be compensated.

The only way I'd offer a credit, future-use coupon, or discount, is if someone earned it for doing their part with referrals (for example), or if it was the same offer that anyone could get from using one of my advertised business discount coupons or specials, etc.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:27am
post #10 of 26

Well, see the way I look at it, it is sort of along the lines of a "tasting" and, I know most bakers that charge for tastings will credit the charge to the order if they go ahead with the baker.

So, if she orders 10+ dozen cupcakes for her "tasting" which I will charge more per dozen than I would normally (since she would be mixing 2 flavors per dozen), I don't mind giving her a small credit on the actual order. But, I probably wont mention the credit till I have an idea of the size of the wedding order.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:03am
post #11 of 26

I also don't think it's a scam, but you never know. If she asks to pay by Western Union or there is a scheme where she pays more than the total and you pay her back, run away.

I would do the same thing you're doing, offering a minimum of 6 cupcakes in each flavor. We have 10 flavors so that would cost the bride $150 for the tasting alone, so I'm pretty sure she will end up narrowing down her choices. No credit to the final order either.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:57am
post #12 of 26

Thanks everyone for your responses! I responded to her regarding the 6 cupcake (or 12 for mini) minimum and, the price for a "mixed batch" which I upped from my standard 12/24 minimum pricing. No mention of discount so, we shall see what she says. I also fished for some information on the "event" date/size, etc. LOL I would bet dollars to donuts this person isn't actually having a wedding and, is most likely competition from the "local cupcake shop" checking me out. Something just feels funny to me on this one for some reason but, we shall know soon enough.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:18am
post #13 of 26

I have to say that it sounds fishy to me. She spells flavor two ways and the tone is if she has no doubt you will agree to the request. If she knows how many flavors you have available, what size box is she expecting you to have ready?

It sounds like a lot of work with a lot of PITA, as well as mediocre compensation. I like your plan.

Michele

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:32am
post #14 of 26

I didn't read this as her planning to place a future order. She says "I am doing cupcakes for an upcoming wedding" (not "MY wedding") which to me, sounds like she is making cupcakes for someone else.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:36am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla84

I didn't read this as her planning to place a future order. She says "I am doing cupcakes for an upcoming wedding" (not "MY wedding") which to me, sounds like she is making cupcakes for someone else.

Yeah, me too. It sounds like she is competition, to me.

jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 26

Cash given to you by a competitor for your products is just as spendable as cash from a regular customer. icon_smile.gif

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:31pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla84

Yeah, me too. It sounds like she is competition, to me.

That is how I read it as well. We shall see.

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Cash given to you by a competitor for your products is just as spendable as cash from a regular customer. icon_smile.gif

Most of us will try to make it affordable for a bride who we hope to get future business from...If we know it is for a competitor, I dare say there is a large chance most of us will not be trying to make it that affordable.

jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:09pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:

Most of us will try to make it affordable for a bride who we hope to get future business from...If we know it is for a competitor, I dare say there is a large chance most of us will not be trying to make it that affordable.

I suppose I disagree with you there...if a bride's requested order exceeds her budget we will offer a simpler alternative at a lower price (which also costs us less), but we don't discount our prices for the sake of future business (I'd rather put the money towards advertising). Same story with competitors who place orders.

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:31pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

I suppose I disagree with you there...if a bride's requested order exceeds her budget we will offer a simpler alternative at a lower price (which also costs us less), but we don't discount our prices for the sake of future business (I'd rather put the money towards advertising). Same story with competitors who place orders.

You are a business guru, so I am not speaking of you, lol. I am talking about the other people who would tend to discount a tasting that is a pain in the butt, or not charge at all, so they can get the order for the cake. You can't say it doesn't happen, whether you agree that it does or not, I read about it on here ALL THE TIME!

jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:35pm
post #21 of 26

Got it...you're right that it absolutely happens a lot, I misread your post.

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:35pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:

Got it...you're right that it absolutely happens a lot, I misread your post.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:09pm
post #23 of 26

Being the ultimate skeptic that I am, it sounds to me like either a competitor is trying to get a feel of all your flavors OR someone is just having a party and wants LOTS of choices. Did she specify a specific date that she wants these "sample flavors"?

I understand your dilemma. I am dealing with a mother of the bride right now on a wine order. I do custom labels. What a PITA. She wanted LOTS of samples. Which translates to making LOTS of different labels. It takes a while to create one and she wanted more than the 10 samples I gave her to choose from. I told her to choose from the 10 or pay $25 per new idea. She finally chose one. People just think you have all the time in the world to devote to their occasion but want to do it on the cheap.

Stand your ground on your decisions and be firm. And get payment up front.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:13pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeBabe

Being the ultimate skeptic that I am, it sounds to me like either a competitor is trying to get a feel of all your flavors OR someone is just having a party and wants LOTS of choices. Did she specify a specific date that she wants these "sample flavors"?

I understand your dilemma. I am dealing with a mother of the bride right now on a wine order. I do custom labels. What a PITA. She wanted LOTS of samples. Which translates to making LOTS of different labels. It takes a while to create one and she wanted more than the 10 samples I gave her to choose from. I told her to choose from the 10 or pay $25 per new idea. She finally chose one. People just think you have all the time in the world to devote to their occasion but want to do it on the cheap.

Stand your ground on your decisions and be firm. And get payment up front.

This is a great example setting appropriate limits and not letting the customer call the shots for your business.

If it's me, there's no way I am making just ONE of every flavor for her to try. I don't care if I freeze the rest and use them later. That's a ton of work. She can either buy at least a half a dozen of 3 or 4 flavors or come in for a regular cake tasting appt.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 26

I liked your answer, SweetSusieQ. But just make sure you've got the money in hand before you even turn on the oven.

SweetSuzieQ Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:05pm
post #26 of 26

Just popping on with an update. As of now, there has been no response! LOL [sarcasm]::::: SHOCKING ::::[/sarcasm]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%