Freeze Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By karengary1991 Updated 12 Oct 2013 , 2:12am by MBalaska

karengary1991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karengary1991 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if you can freeze gum paste flowers ? Will they wilt / melt when taken out of the freezer ? They will only be in the freezer for about 5 days. Thanks for any help !

6 replies
Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

You should never freeze gum paste flowers - condensation will ruin them.

To store, put in a loosely covered box (to avoid condensation) at room temperature and if possible, put in a packet of dessicant (not sure if I spelled that right - its the stuff they put in boxes to absorb any moisture, usually some kind of pellets in a small paper packet). Keep out of light to minimize fading. They should last at least 6 months to a year.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7

What would be your purpose in freezing them when they dry and keep so well? Although I have never had a problem with humidity affecting my gum paste flowers, I have heard others who find it very difficult to deal with. I would think that the moisture encountered by freezing them would act the same.
If you must freeze a decorated cake, I would suggest you wait until it is thawed and moisture evaporated before you place your flowers.

Jan

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:16am
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

What would be your purpose in freezing them when they dry and keep so well? Although I have never had a problem with humidity affecting my gum paste flowers, I have heard others who find it very difficult to deal with. I would think that the moisture encountered by freezing them would act the same.
If you must freeze a decorated cake, I would suggest you wait until it is thawed and moisture evaporated before you place your flowers.

Jan

milkmaid42:  Glad you added this information. Thank You Jan.

I have a cake I'm making today for this weekend and it  will have gumpaste snowflakes on it.  I'm going to have to put it in the freezer (SMBC).

I wasn't sure if I should put the gumpaste snowflakes on the cake and put it all in the freezer - completely decorated  -or-  add the snowflakes after the cake is thawed and just before taking it to my friends house.

I'll follow your suggestion.

Thanks

buddycarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buddycarol Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 7

AI do keep my finished cakes in the refrigerator until delivery so that they transport better, even with gumpaste flowers and have never had a problem with the gumpaste (knock on wood)

MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddycarol 

I do keep my finished cakes in the refrigerator until delivery so that they transport better, even with gumpaste flowers and have never had a problem with the gumpaste (knock on wood)

buddycarol:  Thanks.  

Yes it makes sense with SMBC to chill it & firm it up before delivering.  The gumpaste decorations would stick like crazy on a chilled cake!!

I can see why people buy large commercial fridges for their home cake business.  I can barely get one small cake into mine at a time. Luckily I'm just a hobby baker.

MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 2:12am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advise.  I made my first SMBC all butter wedding cake.  I put all the gumpaste decorations on today.  Sat the cakes in the car (It's 45 degrees out) to fridgerate the cakes before I delivered them. Everything stayed on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%