Home Made Buttercream Or Wilton's Ready To Use

Decorating By ktbug Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 7:56pm by metria

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 5

So I LOVE decorating cakes but I absolutly HATE making buttercream. I was wondering if anyone had used Wilton's Ready to Use icing. How does it taste? How does it spread? I just wanted some thoughts on it. Or do you use a different kind of already made icing? TIA!!

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 5

I use either a crusting butter cream or Frostin Pride a non dairy whipped frosting. You whip it up like whipped cream but it can be left unrefrigerated for up to five days once it has been whipped.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 5

It sucks. Honestly. It tastes like a can of Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines icing. I used it in a pinch a few months ago and I probably will never use it again. It was sticky and thick, even after thinning it out with A LOT of hot water.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

I use CK Buttercream sometimes, good to have in a pinch. You can order it in many different sizes and it taste good too.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

i agree taht the taste is awful, but it is actually nice to work with. I'll use it for competition pieces that won't be eaten. if you're practicing, it's a nice alternative than coating your kitchen with powdered sugar. plus you can use a 40% off coupon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%