Purple Fondant...ugh!!!!

Decorating By lovinlife11 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm by Panel7124

lovinlife11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlife11 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 17

What can I do to keep my purple fondant from turning blue. I made a bow a couple days ahead of time and the other fondant was blue before I decorated the cake. What am i doing wrong??

16 replies
ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 17

I am trying to remember what I learned in my decorating class and I think for buttercream we were told to add a little bit of red to it and it will help keep the purple, purple and not go blue. I would think this would work with fondant as well, but don't hate me if you try it and it doesn't work. Like I said I think that is what we were told. Maybe someone else will comment as well and give you some ideas. If you have time, maybe you can try this with a little bit of fondant.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 17

Purple is famous for turning blue. I don't know what food color use were using but Americolor violet holds it's color pretty well.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 17

Add 1 tsp of baking soda per pound of purple or pink fondant and it will slow down the change of colour. Keep the fondant in a darkened area as well. I have some flowers that are 1 1/2 years old and the colour is still quite intense.

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Add 1 tsp of baking soda per pound of purple or pink fondant and it will slow down the change of colour. Keep the fondant in a darkened area as well. I have some flowers that are 1 1/2 years old and the colour is still quite intense.

Oh wow that is a fantastic tip! I have struggled with purple over the years. Thanks!!!

lovinlife11 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljchevygirl

I am trying to remember what I learned in my decorating class and I think for buttercream we were told to add a little bit of red to it and it will help keep the purple, purple and not go blue. I would think this would work with fondant as well, but don't hate me if you try it and it doesn't work. Like I said I think that is what we were told. Maybe someone else will comment as well and give you some ideas. If you have time, maybe you can try this with a little bit of fondant.

bahaha...I tried that this morning and I am waithing to see where it goes from here. I won't be a hater icon_smile.gif

lovinlife11 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Purple is famous for turning blue. I don't know what food color use were using but Americolor violet holds it's color pretty well.

I am going to give the Americolor violet a try. I have been using Americolor purple and it has not worked but i did buy the violet the other day while I was at the supply store. I have been using FondX elite purple and it is not a very bold purple. I even airbrushed some stuff and it is now royal blue. (lol) Thanks for the advice.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 17

Chefmaster brand makes a No-Fade purple gel color (pink also).

lovinlife11 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Chefmaster brand makes a No-Fade purple gel color (pink also).

Thanks, I will see if I can find that in my area.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 17

Purples do fade badly when stored in light, Wilton and Americolor both fade badly. I dry and store all purple deco in a dark cupboard to avoid fading. I also bump up the pink tone a bit when I'm mixing purple, so that when it is on the cake and it fades a little, it's still purple.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:00am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Does this affect the taste? It seems like it would.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:17am
post #12 of 17

My teach told me to add a little pink to the purple to help stop fading

lovinlife11 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 12:25am
post #13 of 17

I have tried several different tips from you guys. I have some small bags of fondant to sit overnight and see what works best...wish me luck icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:12am
post #14 of 17

I add more Purple than i require - and voila - my cakes and decorations stay vivid ...whether i use a powder or a gel colour.

The fondant i used for these two cakes was made well in advance...

http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/PURPLE%20AND%20LILAC%20CAKE%20-%20BIRDS%20AND%20FLOWERS.%20CAKE%20AND%20CUPCAKES.

http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/PURPLE%20AND%20MINT%20PARTY%20-%20BIRDS%20AND%20BUTTERFLIES

Bluehue

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:59am
post #15 of 17

i did an all purple wedding cake this summer and had NO IDEA about purple turning blue...and this was WITH americolor icon_sad.gif had everything covered in the vehicle but apparently the moment it hit the sun it was blue. i was very upset. I had used both americolor violet and the royal purple. if red is the answer then i will try that next time....but wouldn't baking soda make it taste funny?

lovinlife11 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 11:38am
post #16 of 17

I think I have figured it out. I made several small batches of purple. The one I used electric pink and then added violet is the one that has held it's color best. it is a nice shade of purple and no sign of blue at all. Thanks for all of your tips!!!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 8:17pm
post #17 of 17

dsilvest - thanks for a tip (baking soda), I will try it - gumpaste tinted with CK violet turned light blue just in 1 day...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%