Duncan Hines Mixes Vs Betty Crocker

Baking By paula0712 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 12:54am by Apti

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 5:37am
post #1 of 9

Now that they have changed the amounts in the boxed mixes at BC, I'm considering starting to use DH mixes... I'm not sure if the new BC mixes have pudding in them and I know DH doesn't SO my theory is I might as well buy the bigger quantity if I have to add a pudding now BUT has anyone ever used a DH cake and put fondant on it without adding a pudding etc to the mix? Was it a very sturdy cake and did it hold up well under the fondant? Sorry for the minor panic attack but I've been experimenting all evening and still not sure what I should do. Baking from scratch for me is out of the question right now as it's going to cost me more for ingredients in the long run.

8 replies
JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 9

JMHO, but they've messed with both brands of mixes several times over the last 10 years. They both seem to be making less and less.

Most non-cakers probably won't even notice, they'll just think their bundt cake, or didn't rise as much or their pan cake humped alot this time.

I'm a die-hard Duncan Hines person- I sculpt with it and make wedding cakes- never had a problem.

DaDa561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaDa561 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:32am
post #3 of 9

Duncan Hines gives me a better quality cake I think.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 9

It seems that DH also has smaller boxes. I just purchases a box of Swiss Chocolate and it has a new design on the front. I don't know if the weight is different, but the box is a good 1/2 inch smaller than my BC ones.

I like both manufactures. I prefer DH yellow and Swiss Chocolate and BC in the other flavors.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 9

I use Duncan Hines as a preference, but will use Pillsbury or Betty Crocker if they are on sale. I only buy mixes on sale. All of them work well and bakers will swear by one or another of the brands.

I think we should all boycott Betty Crocker and send them an email TELLING them we're boycotting!

Here's a link to complain to Betty Crocker:

http://consumercontacts.generalmills.com/ConsolidatedContact.aspx?page=http://www.bettycrocker.com

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 9

I was not pleased with the difference in the BC formula when I used white cake with WASC. While it wasn't exactly unpleasant is was definitely subpar to the previous version. I don't have pics of the old way, but I do have some of WASC with the new formula, I will try to attach (not sure if it will work). The new one has a tighter, denser, heavier crumb - too heavy in my opinion. That being said, my husband brought a 9x13x4" cake to share with 12 guys and there were only a few slices left so I guess they enjoyed it. My husband who has been very good on his diet broke his diet to eat the last 4 party sized servings in one sitting (the Wilton Party serving chart isn't what he considers a real serving size, in his book 4 servings is more like 1 generous serving, men, lol).

FullHouse Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 9

Okay, well its not attaching and I don't have time to set up photobucket. But it looks a lot like a poundcake crumb. I am going to try DH next.

FullHouse Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I use Duncan Hines as a preference, but will use Pillsbury or Betty Crocker if they are on sale. I only buy mixes on sale. All of them work well and bakers will swear by one or another of the brands.

I think we should all boycott Betty Crocker and send them an email TELLING them we're boycotting!

Here's a link to complain to Betty Crocker:

http://consumercontacts.generalmills.com/ConsolidatedContact.aspx?page=http://www.bettycrocker.com

I complained to Betty Crocker. Even let them know that as a Wilton Instructor I used to tell my students that I preferred BC to the others especially when making WASC and won't be doing that any longer. Here is the generic response I received a few days later:

Thank you for contacting General Mills. Your comments regarding the recent changes in our Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mixes are important to us and we're sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding this change.

We are committed to making a difference in the lives of our consumers. Feedback such as yours is important to the nature of our business.

We appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to contact us. Please be assured that we will share your thoughts with the appropriate individuals.

Sincerely,

Leah Giovanni

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #9 of 9

This was the response I got.

"Thank you for contacting General Mills regarding our Betty Crocker SuperMoist cake mixes. I am sorry to hear for your disappointment. Your comment is very important to us and will be shared to the product team.

We are committed to making a difference in the lives of our consumers. Feedback such as yours is important to the nature of our business.

Consumer appeal and product re-alignment within a product category are some of the reasons this is done to our product packaging. This change helps us keep our cake affordable while maintaining the great taste of Betty Crocker cake mixes that consumers love. No ingredients have been added or removed in the formulation of the dry mix. Only the amount or weight of some of the ingredients already in the dry mix has been changed. This innovation bakes virtually the same size cake in the same 9x13 pan, while continuing to deliver great taste, high quality, and real value.

We appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to contact us. Again, please be assured that we will share your thoughts with the appropriate individuals.

Sincerely, Imee B. Roberts
Consumer Services

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%