How Do I Calculate Servings On A Topsy Turvy?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 8:43am by MikeRowesHunny

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 5

If I follow the three-layer method in the tutorials here for the topsy-turvy (where the tiers are all placed straight on in a hollowed out portion of the tier below, but tapered down and carved to appear unstable), how would I go about calculating how many servings each tier gives? I know it's not as straightforward as counting the servings per layer in each tier because of the hollowing out involved ... any suggestions?

thanks for your help!!!

4 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 5

How much do you taper? I taper about 2ins, so I use the servings in the middle as my guide. For example, if I'm doing a 10in and taper down to 8in, I state the servings in a 9in (32). Hope that helps!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 5

Two inches, too ... perfect! thanks so much!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

How much do you taper? I taper about 2ins, so I use the servings in the middle as my guide. For example, if I'm doing a 10in and taper down to 8in, I state the servings in a 9in (32). Hope that helps!

But it's a three-layer cake... I'd think the extra cake ring around the top of the tier makes up for the 2 inch ring carved off the bottom of the tier. So it's still a 10" tier = 38. Correct?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:43am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

But it's a three-layer cake... I'd think the extra cake ring around the top of the tier makes up for the 2 inch ring carved off the bottom of the tier. So it's still a 10" tier = 38. Correct?

NO, because 6in tall cakes are cut the same way as 4in tall cakes and you are losing servings from the tapering, and on one side it will be a lot shorter, so going with the middle serving evens it all out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%